You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photos randomly blur in Pub

One day, for some reason, I think I was trying to adjust a photo in Photo, couldn't figure it out, came back to Pub and all or most the pictures were blurred. i have since replaced those photos with fresh clear ones (this is a 30 pg picture book). Today, when i opened it to resume, a number of the replaced photos are again blurred. No effects are checked. I'm baffled. Sounds crazy; it is.  See attached screen capture with 2 of 3 blurred. Thanks for any help solving this riddle.

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 6.06.41 PM.png

On 5/26/2020 at 3:08 AM, Marney said:

One day, for some reason, I think I was trying to adjust a photo in Photo, couldn't figure it out, came back to Pub and all or most the pictures were blurred. i have since replaced those photos with fresh clear ones (this is a 30 pg picture book). Today, when i opened it to resume, a number of the replaced photos are again blurred. No effects are checked. I'm baffled. Sounds crazy; it is.  See attached screen capture with 2 of 3 blurred. Thanks for any help solving this riddle.

I think Serif should answer this one unless someone has an answer. Until then I can only guess... 30GB is a bit of a mouthful for Publisher. I have seen several users mention it can struggle with bigger files and lots of data.

What I suspect is that it is importing these images in the background and either stops updating them on screen because of a bug or perhaps is just working on importing them... try waiting for some time and see if it finally catches up.

It would also be interesting to know if they are also blurred in the final output.. the PDF file fx.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:25 PM, Jowday said:

Sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks to both of you for responding. Jowday, you might be on to something. The pictures are saved in a cloud and later I downloaded them so have drawn from both. Unfortunately the program doesn't seem to have a Links panel so I can see which came from where or to relink. That would be useful as it is in ID. I will change out the latest blurry ones making sure they come from the hard drive. And yes, when converted to pdf, the blurry stay blurry.  

On 5/25/2020 at 8:54 PM, Lagarto said:

can you see any useful status information in Document > Resource Manager as for the status of linked images (I assume these are linked ones, rather than embedded)?

Ah, just saw this. It tells me which are linked and which are embedded. I have no idea how the embedded ones got embedded. The blurry are linked. Oh here's the clue: the blurry ones have "missing" status. With the ones that are not missing, I don't see anything that shows the source.  Can't imagine where they went, but maybe something happened when I photoshopped it and resaved. I have tried to colour correct photos in Affinity Photo but went straight back to PS. It's a bit of a pain because you can't right click the photo and choose where to edit it so the process is a bit convoluted.