You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrongly sorted style menu in fonts

Styles of font are sorted alphabetically and not how they are sorted in the font or by style's value.
You can see example of this font https://www.futurefonts.xyz/jan-sindler/rotor that is sorted correctly inside, but still appears alphabetically sorted.
The names of the first example range from 0 to 360 and I would like to see them sorted as I produced the font.
The other example is font that is in progress, but you can already see the same problem. Alphabetical sorting. Those Bolds, Italic and Regular are even linked so they know about each other but still they appear sorted alphabetically.

Bug thanks for supporting variable fonts, at least partially

1748038105_Screenshot2020-05-22at10_29_38.png.1d13bdb148911b96fec956a3fa203507.png1045205092_Screenshot2020-05-22at10_29_19.png.4aea831547c07071fb5cb18d986f76cc.png

31 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Affinity applications do not currently support variable fonts, nor color SVG fonts.

Any fonts listing you see is just sort of a fluke.

How do you explain that I have this variable font listed with all the instances, then? Does MacOs generate them?

26 minutes ago, jansindl3r said:

How do you explain that I have this variable font listed with all the instances, then? Does MacOs generate them?

Yes, all applications on Macs use/integrate the Mac font handler.
So it may know how to read the instances properly, but the Affinity apps still cannot use the font instances.

On Windows for the Bahnschrift variable font I just see "Regular" listed for all instances.
This is the default master - which is the fallback shown and used when variable fonts are not supported.

If you search the forum you will see multiple posts regarding variable fonts and color fonts.
Neither is yet supported.
But they keep saying that support is planned for the future.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:34 PM, LibreTraining said:

Yes, all applications on Macs use/integrate the Mac font handler.
So it may know how to read the instances properly, but the Affinity apps still cannot use the font instances.

On Windows for the Bahnschrift variable font I just see "Regular" listed for all instances.
This is the default master - which is the fallback shown and used when variable fonts are not supported.

If you search the forum you will see multiple posts regarding variable fonts and color fonts.
Neither is yet supported.
But they keep saying that support is planned for the future.

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't know about that.

That still doesn't change the fact that the instances are sorted alphabetically rather than by their weight or width as it would make sense.

15 hours ago, jansindl3r said:

That still doesn't change the fact that the instances are sorted alphabetically rather than by their weight or width as it would make sense.

Yes, that is another common request even for the non-variable fonts - that the apps sort the fonts by weight and width (like ID) rather than simply alphabetical. i would like to see that too! But I am not sure when or if that feature may happen.