You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 - Text Overflow issue

Hi folks

A student has sent me a document with a peculiar problem, basically the text frame tool is not hiding overflow or automatically formatting text to fit the text frame, just keeps typing on and on and on. 

I checked and unchecked hide overflow etc but it s like after 50 pages of putting a magazine together the text frame tool has suddenly decided not to work as it should. Keen to avoid starting a new document and copying over the already completed work. 

Any ideas or thoughts at all? If I jump to my own document the text frame tool works fine and text behaves as it should, it is only within this one document and I cannot find the reason behind it. 

Many thanks for any help.

I can interpret "just keeps typine on and on and on" in a couple of ways. Do you have a screenshot you could post?

Have you checked the Text Frame studio panel (View > Studio > Text Frame) to see what it thinks the frame settings are.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks. Check the Character studio panel and make sure that "No Break" is not set:

image.png.144a0e6b0079dde1d63fa9c560d331e5.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Then you need to figure out why it was vertical; setting "No Break" is not the answer to that problem :)

Screenshots of the Character panel and the Paragraph panel might help.

-- Walt
PC:

I went back to the student for more info, they were abut 50 pages in and updated from 1.8.2 to 1.8.3 and the text tool misbehaved after that point. 

I have sussed a workaround for him, which is to create a new document, add pages from file, add in his current document and the text tool works again.

Bizarre issue but hopefully fixed, perhaps a glitch updating a file whilst working on it? (Prob not, prob just a wee gremlin.)

Thanks for the help

I'm new to the Affinity Suite, so apologies if there is an obvious answer to my question.

The issue: as I type in a text frame, when the text gets to the end of the frame it doesn't wrap to the next line but overwrites on the current line.

4 hours ago, GeneL said:

I'm new to the Affinity Suite, so apologies if there is an obvious answer to my question.

The issue: as I type in a text frame, when the text gets to the end of the frame it doesn't wrap to the next line but overwrites on the current line.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

First guess: you have probably overridden the paragraph leading and specified 0. Screenshots of your workspace showing the Context Toolbar, the Character studio panel, and the Paragraph studio panel would be helpful either to confirm that or to show one of the other possible things you might have done :)

-- Walt
PC:

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

First guess: you have probably overridden the paragraph leading and specified 0. Screenshots of your workspace showing the Context Toolbar, the Character studio panel, and the Paragraph studio panel would be helpful either to confirm that or to show one of the other possible things you might have done :)

Walt, thank you for taking the time with a newbie. See the overwriting in the 4th line of sample text. I'm using Arial but other fonts give the same result. Screen grabs show the current settings. Thanks.

Txt wrap.png

Character.png

Para.png

Context.png

Thanks for the screenshots, @GeneL.

For 9pt Arial, the "leading override" in the Character panel will be, by default (9.3 pt) where the parentheses say it's a default value.

You have set it to 0pt, and thus your lines are overlaying each other:

image.png.e770f5e3a047de3682e81831a23fd1f2.png

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks for the screenshots, @GeneL.

For 9pt Arial, the "leading override" in the Character panel will be, by default (9.3 pt) where the parentheses say it's a default value.

You have set it to 0pt, and thus your lines are overlaying each other:

image.png.e770f5e3a047de3682e81831a23fd1f2.png

Thanks Walt - you are a legend! I opened a new document with text frames and played with regular text and bulleted text and with your help have sorted it out. Thanks heaps and sorry for such a dumb question!! Gene

You're welcome. And I'm a firm believer in "there are no dumb questions" :)  Others have been confused by "leading override", so you aren't the first, and probably won't be the last.

-- Walt
PC: