You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer crashing when using pencil tool

I have 2019 Macbook Pro with these settings:

Processor: 2.3GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8gb 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

I am working on a large format file (111.75 cm x 38 cm) as required for my project. I am using the pencil tool to go over the raster sketch I added at the beginning of this work. The program will work for a while then crash unexpectedly. Sometimes it is crashing after about 1/2 hour, sometimes it is crashing every few minutes, and sometimes, it crashes the instant I make a line with my pen tool. I don't have the world's greatest specs, but my computer is pretty new, and while the physical file size is large, the actual size is about 20 mb, which seems small.

Am I missing something? Anyone else having this problem?

• Staff

Hi Stephen Elliott :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Firstly, could you please open Affinity Designer > Preferences > Performance and provide me with a screenshot of your settings here?

Secondly, I'd like to request a copy of your latest crash logs. Please go to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder, then attach a copy of these report(s) here.

Many thanks in advance!

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Having had a few days to look at the problem and troubleshoot myself, I have discovered two things. 

1) It's the same file that is having issues. Other files of the same size are working without problems.

2) I have the app on Mac and IOS, and I have the exact same problem, with the same file. Other files of the same size also work just fine on the IOS version.

I thought it might be more useful if you had the file? I don't know if it can be fixed, but it would be just lovely if my 10+ hours of work weren't wasted :)

There are 9 crash reports that look like they happened during the time I had this initial problem. I have attached them. 

Below that, you can see the screenshot of my setting.

I also noticed that my activity monitor was showing a few processes running that weren't necessary and were eating up some of my RAM. After closing some of them and restarting the program, I feel like the performance improved. However, I still cannot edit the file in question.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 1.55.20 PM.png

Rain Stick Part II- Precipitation-1.afdesign Affinity Designer_2020-04-16-150445_Stephens-MacBook-Pro.crash Affinity Designer_2020-04-19-134327_Stephens-MacBook-Pro.crash Affinity Designer_2020-04-20-190057_Stephens-MacBook-Pro.crash Affinity Designer_2020-04-20-190157_Stephens-MacBook-Pro.crash Affinity Designer_2020-04-21-093644_Stephens-MacBook-Pro.crash Affinity Designer_2020-04-21-093739_Stephens-MacBook-Pro.crash Affinity Designer_2020-04-21-095453_Stephens-MacBook-Pro.crash Affinity Designer_2020-04-21-095454_Stephens-MacBook-Pro.crash Affinity Designer_2020-04-21-100441_Stephens-MacBook-Pro.crash

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, I've downloaded your file and unfortunately been unable to replicate your crashing - which is certainly strange as you've seen the issue on 2 systems. The only difference I know of, is that I don't have the font installed that's being used in your document.

I've attempted to repair your file, and I hope this attached version below no longer crashes for you. If it does, please try uninstalling your font, restarting the app and launching the app again.

I hope this helps!

Rain Stick Part II- Precipitation-Fixed.afdesign

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I also am late in responding to things. However, I have been able to finish my document because I discovered a workaround.

I selected all of the linework, copied it, and pasted it into a new document, and it worked. Still not sure why that problem occurred in the first place. Anyways, besides that one hiccup, Designer has been working like a champ this whole time. 

I have attached a file of the completed version as an svg. Just thought you might like to see how it turned out :)

Thanks for reaching out!

Rain_Stick_Part_II_Precipitation.svg

• 4 weeks later...