You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush lag after long strokes

When using the vector brush it seems to lag for a few seconds. I've searched the forum and found a few topics with the same issues but no actual resolution to the problem. I've tried both the beta and the current release version. Not sure if there is a work around for this. I've attached a screen of the current brush I'm using. Its very basic and one of the few brushes I've found to lag the least yet it still lags significantly. I turned of stabilization and I'm just hoping there might be something In my settings that I can tweak. 

brushscreen_Affinity.png

• Staff

Hi Figz88,

Welcome to the forums :)

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response, unfortunately due to the current circumstances our response time is longer than normal. We're working hard to keep on top of things, so many thanks for your patience and understanding here.

This is a known issue which is logged with our developers, however the exact cause of this can vary from system to system. Could you please confirm for me:

• What are your system specs?
  • What is the size & DPI of your document?
  • Does this occur in any document, including a new blank file?
  • When are you seeing this 'lag'? (ie at the start of the stroke, during drawing, after finishing the stroke?)

Can you also please open Affinity Designer > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you and totally understand with everything going on.

My System Specs -

Lenovo Yoga A940 Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz(6cores)  RAM 32GB  GPU AMD Radeon RX 560X  VRAM 4096

Document size -  20" x  20" 300 dpi

I've tested this several times on smaller letter size docs and this seems to occur as more and more elements are added. So with a blank page(both letter and 20 x 20) and just me scribbling across the page with the brush used in the attached screen there is no lag even with the stabilizer on. I'm guessing this is just occurring due to my document being filled with detailed vector brush line work and more shapes? In my experience with earlier affinity designer versions though It did seem to be less taxing on my system(and earlier pc's with lesser specs) and I feel like I did not have issues with any noticeable brush lag.

I see this lag toward the tail end of a long stroke and also when naturally drawing numerous smaller strokes consecutively. Hope that makes sense.

performancescreen.png

• Staff

Thanks for the info provided and the further description, this certainly sounds similar to the other reports we've received so I'll be sure to 'bump' the development log with your thread now.

You may find that changing your Retina Rendering to Low Quality (Fastest) may help with your performance, however your mileage may vary.

Do you have any third party applications running that may be affecting Affinity - anything that draws over your screen or that uses DirectX? (As we've seen these types of apps cause issues in Affinity previously)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I've tried a few combination of performance changes but notice no real change. So I'm guessing these apps include illustrator, photoshop? If so interestingly enough these apps played well together with earlier versions of affinity for me. I have a very early version of affinity(version 1.6 I believe) on another tablet PC that really works very smoothly.

Edited by Figz88

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 8:45 PM, Figz88 said:

curiouspuffin, have you had this issue with earlier versions of affinity?

I'm new to Affinity and started with 1.7. When I experienced problems I updated to 1.8.3. 
You can read about my reported issue here:

Hope affinity comes up with a solution fast. Because of the problem I'm not using AF and though I bought it with a discount it feels like a waste of money 😞

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased Affinity Photo and I'm having the same issue major brush lag using my mouse or my cintiq 13HD. 

My cintiq is responsive in other programs so I don't think thats the problem.

Computer specs are 

i7-9700 @ 3.00Ghz

32 GB

RTX 2080

• Staff

Hi @dnamation,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble, could you please confirm for me - what size brush/canvas are you using please? Are you seeing this lag with the Paint brush tool, or another?

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...

I am experiencing the same problem. however, I can elaborate the problem in detail. When I am drawing strokes quickly, it is not lagging. but when I am trying to draw a precise stroke with multiple precise curves, it is lagging heavily. So I can't see the stroke in real time and therefore my work is ruined.

Please let me know when developers fix this problem. Until then, I am going back to my old design soft.

• Staff

Hi @Heavy Machine Gun,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Can you please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

What device are you using for input within Affinity please? ie Mouse, Trackpad, Tablet etc?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know - unfortunately supporting the app won't be possible if it's been uninstalled.

Should you choose to reinstall the app, I'd recommend disabling Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of the dialog previously mentioned, as well as changing the 'Tablet Input Method' under Edit > Preferences > Tools and seeing if this improves behaviour for you.

Please note -

Many thanks!