You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export Resizes Document

wshill

I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but open a PDF file, choose file export PDF and save the file. See the attached files. The resolution goes from 895 × 630 to 878 × 612. In this case it is a print cover template which completely wrecks my workflow because the output fails submission checks so I'm hoping for a quick fix. This is new to 1.8.2 as I did not see this behavior in 1.8.1.

5.5x8.5_BW_530_Export.pdf 5.5x8.5_BW_530.pdf

Just to be clear, the PDF file is not altered in any way. I open the original PDF and check the size attributes. I export the PDF and the size attribute changes in the output file. In Affinity 1.7 this was not the case. The simple act of round tripping the PDF should not result in changes to the size attribute. 

One thing I missed was that I changed units using Resize Document from points to inches. Apparently, it is at this point that the bleed gets removed and the document size changes. Got a way to change the unit size without changing the document size?

1 hour ago, wshill said:

One thing I missed was that I changed units using Resize Document from points to inches. Apparently, it is at this point that the bleed gets removed and the document size changes. Got a way to change the unit size without changing the document size?

I don't have 1.8.2 installed now, but the bleed does not get removed when I do that change of units in 1.8.3 beta.

Here is a screen capture in the 1.8.3.175 beta. Look at the transform dialog compared to the resize dialog. The values there are the default. I've opened the document in Affinity, selected the move tool and the background layer to show the values in the transform panel, then selected Resize Canvas. The results are the same for Resize Document. If I'm doing something wrong, I'd like to know it, but I'm using the same workflow I used in 1.7.3 and I did not have this issue. 

656611935_ScreenShot2020-03-24at9_01_51AM.thumb.png.33e6ae07b3b2fca2222abb43d913e22e.png

AP beta 1.8.3.175 is the same version as I have.

Your document has an all round bleed of 9 points.

The size in Transform is the size of your Group object which extends outside the canvas because it contains one or more objects that you want to bleed off the printed and trimmed document.

The size in the Resize Document or Resize Canvas dialogs is the size excluding bleed. Changing units there does not change the size of the document and it does not lose the bleed.