You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Second Screen Bug

jnepodal

I've been having this issue since before 1.8, but it just got worse.

I use Affinity Design, Publisher, and Photo on my laptop. However, I have a second screen attached via USB C hub. I use Affinity on the second screen since it's bigger and my laptop screen is too small. Every time I open the software, on the Splash Screen (or whatever you call the all-black screen with the small box that gives you the option to open a new document), it does not actually fit my screen (Image 1). Instead, it is far skewed up , making it impossible to click on. I've simply gotten in the habit of clicking ESC every time, and then using the menu to create a new document.

However, starting with 1.8, the new document setup now uses that same setup (Image 2). This makes it IMPOSSIBLE to create the right size. When I drag Affinity over to my primary display, close the document, reopen the document in the smaller window, it still appears on the second screen like in image 2. Obviously this is a significant issue, and I'm hoping I can get some help with it.

Thanks in advance!

Image 1.PNG

Image 2.PNG

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hey jnepodal,

Can you screenshot your Windows display settings so we can see resolutions, scaling and layout of the monitors please? 

Can you also zip up and attach your AppData?

Affinity Store - %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0

or 

Microsoft Store - %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)

We need the 1.0 folder :) 

• Staff

We had a hard time reproducing this but we believe it may be due to the big difference between scaling and resolutions you're using. Unfortunately Windows suffers from terrible scaling issues, unlike macOS so it's hard for us to fix things like this.

You should be able to fix it by doing the following (but it may be come at some point):

Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings and delete Windows.xml

This will reset the part of the app that needs resetting without touching any of the other settings. 

Chris,

I appreciate your help. I did as you suggested. Instead of opening automatically in the second window (like it normally does), it instead opened on my laptop screen (I'm guessing that's the flag that was reset by deleting that file).

However, upon opening a new document, I had the same issue where instead of displaying all within one screen, it was displaying with multiple buttons and options off-screen.

Thank you for trying.

• Staff

I've asked around and everyone seems to be using a 4k monitor with a lower resolution laptop—not the other way around to match your setup. We would need to wait until we are back at Serif HQ after lockdown lifts or eases as we have access to more hardware there.