You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Crashing when Altering Grid settings

Have posted this in the Windows bugs section but also posting here in the hope it will get more traffic, so sorry if the post seems in the wrong place. 

Have to re revisit this as this is issue has returned. Having reinstalled Designer (see previous post) I thought the issue had resolved but it has returned. The first document (Crash Test 1) that I opened allows me to made alterations to the grid setting without crashing and still does if I reopen it and work in it all is well. All subsequent documents (Crash Test 2) crash as soon as grid setting are altered. Cannot do anything in the grid and axis manager without a crash, with the exception of this one document.

I use isometric grids frequently so this is a big problem for me. I've updated all drivers, even reinstalled Windows, reinstalled Designer, deleted app data which seem to result in the one usable document I have.

Does anyone have any idea how I can solve this or what is causing this issue. Have attached the working file and a crashing file example.

Thanks in advance and desperation, Anthony.

Update: I think that whatever is causing these crashes ls linked to the grid presets. If I manually set the grids it seems OK, if I start with or change to one of the preset it immediately crashes. Stumbling around in the dark a bit though.

Affinity Designer Crash.zip

Edited by Ginblue
Problem update

• Staff

I'm able to switch between the different default presets without issues using those two files. Can you check for any crash reports the app may have logged or it may be worth causing a crash then checking the location for the newest file.

Windows

Press the Windows Key + R to launch the Run dialog and enter the relevant app path:

• %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports
  • %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports
  • %AppData%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports

Our crash reports will have a filename that's made up of random alphanumeric characters and will have a .dmp extension. Please send us this file.

I have some crash reports from an earlier install, but I'm not sure that they are capturing the crash, pretty certain its not. I'll induce a crash also anyway.

My Crash Reports.zip

Open designer

New Doc (web) Opens with grid

Open grid and axis manager - select Isometric preset 

Draw rectangle click - crash

If I manually setup a grid it is somewhat more stable. I'm totally stumped. I've not installed any new software since Designer

metadata options.json settings.dat attachment_Log.txt attachment_Log.txt attachment_Log.txt attachment_Log.txt metadata options.json 0cc322ff-8007-48a4-b84e-4d8f394f00c0.dmp 7478c6a7-2ad4-4b88-ab67-29ce293487e1.dmp b471a211-f51c-4fd9-8a7c-907ea351e9ac.dmp d7958b6e-e42d-4412-b7e1-c2473738c436.dmp settings.dat metadata options.json settings.dat My Crash Reports.zip

• Staff

Thanks for the files, i'll get them checked.

The grid presets can be reset to default, if you have setup custom presets if may be worth backing them up first from the Preset Manager in the Grid & Axis Manager window. Now hold the CTRL key down and open the app, when the window appears release the key and check Reset Grid Presets and click Clear.