You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APu: return to originally installed styles (text, paragraph)

Hello out there,

I'm succeeded in deleting more or less all originally installed styles in APu (Mac), but now I think this wasn't a good idea while watching the divers tutorials about managing thoses styles.
Because I was somewhat angry about the lot of styles and their really confusing organisation into text, paragraph and groupt styles. I decided to delete them with no document open (!?).
Anyway, they are now missing in *all* documents I already created or create new.

- I've opened a new document from scratch, but there they are gone, too.
- I've reset the text styles via setup menue -> varia (I've a German version),
- I've started APu with ctrl hold to get into the reset dialogue -> reset styles
- as test I removed the folder "Affinity Publisher" out of the folder "Application Support" -> Library,
No success...

I think, it may be an idea to reinstall APu "from scratch" or something like that, so that I get the original installation status.
Who has the right advice?

Greeting from Johannes

7 hours ago, jweitzel said:

I think, it may be an idea to reinstall APu "from scratch" or something like that, so that I get the original installation status.
Who has the right advice?

I suspect that is the only way to get them back, so give it a try. As long s you don't delete the "Application Support" -> Library folder for APU, it should not affect any of your user settings.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello R C-R, thanks a lot for your answer! But now I'm unsure, whether Your advice aims at a "try" or is based on technical know-how/expertise?
;-)

As I saw with the software "EasyFind" (Mac), APu is rather deply nested in the library folders. I do not want to damage further installations of APu/Affinity personas.

Thanks again!
Johannes

2 hours ago, jweitzel said:

As I saw with the software "EasyFind" (Mac), APu is rather deply nested in the library folders.

Look again. APu should not be installed in your user's Library folder. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello R C-R,

again, thanks for your help. Your last answer I do not understand, sorry. I never thought to do so: "APu should not be installed in your user's Library folder". How should I install APu in a library folder!?

In the meantime I re-installed APu even 2 times because of notorious difficulties: to regain the original installation status of the styles, and – very annoying – because of refused PDF export.

Best wishes
Johannes

8 minutes ago, jweitzel said:

How should I install APu in a library folder!?

You should not do that. But earlier you said "APu is rather deply nested in the library folders." It is not (or at least should not be) installed there. What you found was almost certainly in your user account's Library folder, which is where your personal settings, preferences, styles, etc. files are stored & are accessible only by you.

The APu app itself should be stored in the root level Applications folder. If you reinstall it, it should be installed there & restore any items you deleted, but this does not touch anything in your (or any other user's if there are any) user account's Library folder, where your personal preferences & settings are stored.

Affinity Photo 

Many, many thanks for your patience! and your willing, to explain things to "idiot users" ... This I mean literally. Because I myself am system- and typesetting admin (Mac) since about 3 decades in a book publishing company. I would not say, that I know the different library folders of a Mac "as my pocket", but I know them rather good.

You are right in every regard! Nevertheless, if I install in that way APu "from scratch" - my (about 100) user adapted color swatches are "already there" as a list in the color swatches panel in APu. Where are they coming from? (And I have deleted *any* APu folder, even in  ~/user/Library/Application Support ...!)

Have a nice weekend!
Johannes

1 minute ago, jweitzel said:

Nevertheless, if I install in that way APu "from scratch" - my (about 100) user adapted color swatches are "already there" as a list in the color swatches panel in APu. Where are they coming from? (And I have deleted *any* APu folder, even in  ~/user/Library/Application Support ...!)

Did you add them as an Application Palette or as a System Palette?

If as an app palette they should be in the fills.propcol file in ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/user/ (or in ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher/Data/Library/Application Support/user/ if you bought APu from the Mac App Store).

If added as a system palette, they should be in ~/Library/Colors/, probably as a *.clr file with whatever name you gave that palette when you created it in whatever app you used for that (possibly the macOS Color Picker).

Affinity Photo 

🙂
I exported all the custom color swatches out of .indd via: Colour swatches panel -> Menue: export colours... The result is  <filename>.ase
This file I importet from with APu. And yes, You got it! Great kudos to You! – I imported it apparently as System palette... and that has in deed gone to: ~/Library/Colors/.

Ok, now all obscurities have been solved and cleared.
Many thanks! And I have learned new things of OS X

Johannes