You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please add "layer" like designer/publisher to photos

First, let me explain the difference between the "layer" function in designer/publisher, and the "group layer" function in photo

– Designer/Publisher "layers" which have the subname (layer) in them, work as a grouping layer, but the advantage is each time you click on a sub-layer inside them from the canvas, you only select that sub-layer.

– Photo doesn't have a way to create this same "layer" in it, it has a "group" layer that can be creating when selecting one or two layers, and it works as the name says by grouping them.

The problem "group layer" is whenever you click on a layer on the canvas, it select the whole group, then you have to double click or control+left click the sub-layer, it usually never works if I have multiple stacked layers with transparencies, the other solution is to select them from the layer panel directly. This still adds extra unnecessary steps, especially if you need to fine tune some layers a lot.

I can go to file > Edit in Designer..., create one "layer" and go to file > Edit in Photo... And this has become the 1st step in every file I create in photo, and it's really annoying and time wasting if I have to do it multiple times a day.

The other work around is to add one "layer" after I create it in designer to the assets panel, but I had problems with some sub-layers position changing and disappearing, especially text and curves.

The "Group Layers" icon at the bottom is redundant, because you can group layers with Control+G. The normal "layer" function would be of better use.

Designer.png

Photo.png

12 minutes ago, fde101 said:

(Mac - not sure what the Windows key is for that, maybe control?)

Yes, Ctrl+Click works on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

In the interim, you can select an object from inside a group by command-clicking on it (Mac - not sure what the Windows key is for that, maybe control?).  After that you can directly select other objects from within the same group.

I know you can that, I mentioned it in my article, but it gets really annoying if you have to do it a couple of hundreds of times in a document.