You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tool option value selection

New user on version 1.7.3.481 of Photo.  Windows7 latest release.

I'm having an issue when after selecting a value for any tool option such as Width, Hardness, Opacity, etc.  I'm not able to find how to complete the selection and move to editing  (either through moving the slider, scrolling the wheel, typing, etc.)  by closing the value window without having to click on the canvas which then starts to apply the tool.  I didn't want to start applying the tool without first seeing what my value such as width looks like before actually using it.  I've hit ESC and that just gives me DESECLECT in history without actually doing anything; nor does hitting Enter do anything.  The value slider just hangs out and won't go away unless I click somewhere - very annoying.

Help.

If you mean the brush tools, at least in the Mac version Preferences > User Interface has a checkbox for "Show brush previews." With that ticked, not only should you get an outline of the selected brush indicating its size & shape, you should get a preview of the hardness, opacity, etc. as you move the brush pointer over the canvas, without needing to click anywhere on the canvas to paint with it.

Even without that option enabled the outline should be visible without having to click anything. Is this not happening for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The ‘workaround’ that I use is to click on the title bar of the document – not the title bar of the application but the document title bar between the Context Toolbar and Ruler (if you have them displayed) – as shown in my attached image.
This seems to have the effect of removing all pop-ups without affecting the document. It’s not ideal but it works for me.

Annotation 2020-01-22 090349.png

28 minutes ago, GarryP said:

This seems to have the effect of removing all pop-ups without affecting the document. It’s not ideal but it works for me.

Do you not get at least the brush size & shape shown as an outline when you move the brush pointer into the canvas, without having to click anywhere to dismiss the popups?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Unfortunately not. See attached GIF.

I guess this must be a Windows only thing then, because it works as I described on Macs.

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

It’s quite possibly a Windows-only thing.
OP is using Windows 7 and I’m using Windows 10 so there’s no difference between them by the sounds of it.
Right-clicking seems to work too. Thanks for the tip haakoo.

Thank you GarryP - that's exactly the problem.  I'm glad I was able to describe it accurately and I'm not the only one.

Definitely a bug as other programs sense the state change of the cursor moving off the value field and automatically close.  Some also toggle open/close  when you click on the value field (the slider arrow does this here).  Some close on hitting ESC key.  It would be nice if it did all three. 

Is there a Bug reporting system or will this be noted by Affinity support staff?

(PS - the ESC key now seems to work by closing the field.  It may be it only happens for certain tools when doing certain edits??  I'll report back if this is the case.)

AffinityPhoto-StuckField.png

Edited by Slylandro
change in failure

If you want to report this as a bug then, as it’s Photo on Windows, you can create a new thread here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/78-photo-bugs-found-on-windows/
Or maybe one of the moderators can move this thread over to keep the background discussion intact.
Having said that, there could be a chance that, because of the way Windows works – across the different versions – there may not be much that the developers can do; sometimes the way the OS works cannot be overridden.