You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save failed because the file could not be written to

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for letting me know, unfortunately the file is missing major chunks and therefore cannot be repaired, my apologies.

I recommend accessing Google Drive through the Web client, rather than your desktop app etc, as we've seen previously that downloading in this method can save files - however if you uploaded the file in this state of course I do not expect this to change.

Please do let me know how the First Aid utility reports.

I did the First Aid yesterday and it said the hard drive was fine.  So no idea why the pdf went screwy!  Oh well.  

Thanks for trying with the file.  I figured it was too far gone.  

I used Google Drive so I could work from home as well as from the office but I think I'm going to just work on the office computer with the Publisher files and see if that makes a difference.  I will upload the files via Chrome in future for a back up though if you think that is safer than the desktop app.  

On 2/8/2020 at 1:17 AM, Dan C said:

Thanks for letting me know, unfortunately the file is missing major chunks and therefore cannot be repaired, my apologies.

I recommend accessing Google Drive through the Web client, rather than your desktop app etc, as we've seen previously that downloading in this method can save files - however if you uploaded the file in this state of course I do not expect this to change.

Please do let me know how the First Aid utility reports.

Hi Dan

Sorry to be a pain.  I just started on the next magazine and it's already saying I can't save to that file.  I made a new magazine template so that it shouldn't have any of the problems of the previous file.  I have saved the file to a folder in my documents folder rather than to google drive like you suggested.  I added in two articles and adverts and then it said I couldn't save to that file anymore.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and if it's my computer throwing the crap at me.  Any ideas?  I've just made a template up on Quark to use that instead but holy crap it's horrible to use rather than Publisher so I'd like to sort out the problem with Publisher.

The only thing I can think is to put a copy on my wife's pc and see if I have the same problems on there.  I've got the Mac version of Publisher do I have to buy the PC version as well?

How did you add the articles and adverts, where did you get them from, and what did they consist of?
If you copied one or more of them from a document which exhibited the problem then you could have copied the problem over.
If you placed or pasted them from a non-local drive, or document on a non-local drive, then you could be allowing the problem to persist.
If something – an image, for example – within one of the articles or adverts resides someplace other than your local hard drive then, again, you could be repeating the problem.

P.S. If you need to use Publisher – or any Affinity application – on more than one OS then you need to purchase it for each OS.

17 hours ago, GarryP said:

How did you add the articles and adverts, where did you get them from, and what did they consist of?
If you copied one or more of them from a document which exhibited the problem then you could have copied the problem over.
If you placed or pasted them from a non-local drive, or document on a non-local drive, then you could be allowing the problem to persist.
If something – an image, for example – within one of the articles or adverts resides someplace other than your local hard drive then, again, you could be repeating the problem.

P.S. If you need to use Publisher – or any Affinity application – on more than one OS then you need to purchase it for each OS.

I had the magazine template on my hard drive and the adverts are on google drive because I thought they would be ok on there as I haven't had a problem with those file so I can work on them at home and the office.  The articles are in word documents that are saved in dropbox as the editor saves them in there for me as we live in different countries and it is easier to share the files like that.  

I've moved the adverts onto my computer and out of google drive now so I will work on it all at the office rather than home.  Hopefully that will sort the problem out.  Not sure how I can sort out the article files though in dropbox as they have to stay in there for updates and stuff like that.

I thought that was the case of having to purchase another version.  Thanks.

I don’t use cloud storage much myself but, from what I have read in this forum, the majority of problems with file access arise from using files that are not local to the machine on a permanent storage medium. I’ve read about problems with cloud storage, network storage and removable media devices but local – permanently attached – hard drives and SSDs seem to work just fine.
You can probably use cloud storage for backups and collaboration of your documents and images but working with anything that is non-local in an Affinity application is probably going to cause problems at some point. At the very least, using non-permanent storage creates potential problems, which could turn into real problems at some point in the future.
The Affinity applications probably don’t need to know, or care, whether a document or resource also exists elsewhere as long as they can access a local copy which they always have access to.
In other words, you can probably still use Google Drive and Dropbox (etc.) but if you always access the local copy of the file then you’ll probably be safe.

I now have everything saved on my computer and not in google drive to see how it all goes when I do the magazine.

I was working on the magazine today and everything was fine until I was about ¾ of the way through putting the adverts in place - I always have them linked incase I need to make changes to the original files so the advert gets changed in the magazine file.  I had lots of messages about the file not being able to be written to and having a few corrupt files.  Luckily I had been saving a version to google drive as I was going along. I was able to download a version from google drive without having lost much work.  I couldn't work out what was causing the problems and it was really frustrating so eventually as a last resort I changed all the linked images to embedded and managed to work on the rest of the magazine without it crashing once!!!  That was a miracle!  Not sure if it is because of the number of linked images and the file is struggling to cope with them all but once I had changed everything to embedded it saved without any hassle.  I still saved a version to google drive every 10 minutes to be safe but didn't end up needing them.  Not sure if it will help anyone else who has been having the same problems but thought I'd let people know how it helped me.