You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher for Mac not recognizing fonts

I just recently switched from Adobe CC to the Affinity suite of products, and while I'm struggling to get used to the interfaces, I have a major, major problem.

I have purchased and installed well over 300 custom fonts for the work that I do for my business.  All other applications recognize these.  I have verified that they are all installed in Font Book.  Affinity does not recognize any of these fonts, only the default Apple supplied fonts.  How do I resolve this?

They should be in your fonts in your user library folder.

/Users/<YOUR USER NAME>/Library/Fonts/

or in your system fonts in 

/Library/Fonts/

If they are somewhere else that may be the problem. You may have them in another User's library or on a separate hard drive.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Always installed to /Library/Fonts.  Verified permissions on the files as well.  macOS recognizes them, all Microsoft apps recognize them, even older apps that I haven't used anymore like Pixelmator recognize them.  Additionally, since I still have an active Creative Cloud subscription until 1/15, my CC apps still recognize them.

Affinity does not.

I'm also the only user.  

3 hours ago, Mike Hasner said:

300 custom fonts

When you say custom... How custom?

I see the fonts I bought years ago, OTF and TTF types, there were some very old PS types I had that won't work with modern systems but they didn't show up in most software. And Affinity Design, Photo and Publisher apparently have myriad problems with RtL and various Asian scripts.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

They're not really custom.  Just stuff that I've purchased over the years from Adobe.  One-off purchases, not purchased from my subscription.  Thing's I've needed for side jobs and customer presentations.

For example, I have 45 different variations of Frutiger that aren't being recognized.  Futura 2.  Eurostyle Extended Two Bold.  Century Gothic.  Century Gothic Pro.

What really sucks is that I want to redesign my business card, and my business font is Century Gothic Pro.  I don't want to redesign it in InDesign because my subscription ends soon.

Only do this* if all else has failed, all else being doing a Clear User Data from Affinity apps (hold down the control key while starting up and clicking Clear) and trying the Preferences > Miscellaneous > Reset Fonts.

*This is the Nuclear Option;

Copy the fonts you want and need into a folder on your desktop. Or better practice is to get fresh copies if that is possible from the vendor (or the install disks), this is to make certain they haven't been corrupted by just sitting around in the folder.

In Font Book go to File > Restore Standard Fonts...

1761592487_ScreenShot2020-01-07at9_22_24AM.thumb.png.5886c5744750fd1a759126aaf3337221.png

Then go to File > Add Fonts... and add the ones you want and need from the desktop folder.

Okay, this has me stymied. There is no way a bunch of fonts bought over time should become corrupted and there is no way only one suite of applications should be blind to them. I don't have the same fonts as you but the only difference I can see is that you say you have your fonts in your  /Library/Fonts and I use my Users/<YOUR USER NAME>/Library/Fonts/ account font folder.

Try removing "business font is Century Gothic Pro" and installing it (via Font Book) into your user account.

I am having this same problem, the majority of fonts I used in Quark and PS are not available on the either Affinity Photo or designer.  As the customer above noted this is very frustrating as I have bought these over the years and have many, many design projects using them.  If I can't get the fonts to work correctly these new Affinity programs will be worthless no matter how good they are in other areas.  I have about 300 total fonts and many were adobe PS, please help, they work in EVERY other program I have installed.  Thanks - Bob

@bscholl

There are a few other threads with similar font issues.
It appears to be related to the Type 1 fonts and how they are named.
See:

In that case using TransType to convert the T1 fonts to OTF and update/fix the names appeared to solve the issue.
Also make sure you do not have both OTF and T1 fonts installed for the same font family.
That definitely causes issues.

Keep in mind that Adobe has announced the end of T1 font support in Photoshop next year.
The end is nearing for T1 fonts.

If you would like to test convert some specific fonts to see if that is the issue, send them via PM.