You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NEW Vrs Affinity Photo seems very slow

I just downloaded and installed latest vrs of Affinity Photo. To me it seems like a Beta vrs because it is so slow on Windows Platform. Everything I do on it seems to take ages-Every task is laborious even just zooming in and out. Nothing feels intuitive anymore. Even Export calculations are taking forever. This has seriously reduced workflow times and overall  enjoyment of the program. I will be going back to previous versions if I cannot get it sorted. seems a step backwards and that why I am suggesting it feels more like a Beta vrs. It feels on the border of crashing all the time!

Can you remember what the previous version was that you upgraded from?
I didn’t notice any significant speed change upgrading from 1.7.2 or 1.7.1 (that’s as far as I go back with Photo), on Windows 10.
Did you install or upgrade the OS or any drivers between versions of Photo?
Also, if you can say whether you got the latest version from Serif or the Microsoft Store it might give someone a bit of extra info’ to help you figure out what’s gone wrong.

This vrs was from Serif.Obtained @https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/photo/1/  .

I must have upgraded from vrs 1.7.0. When Exe/installing the latest vrs of the program it wanted to download some vrs of Microsoft Netframe which it did successfully. After I wrote this topic I decided, this morning, to download vrs  1.7.1 which I installed after removing vrs 1.7.3 to see how that worked. I can report that vrs 1.7.1 works just fine without the time delays that I experienced with latest vrs so I am pretty certain it is not my computer. Vrs 1.7.1 works as expected and is comparable to what i previously experienced when using vrs 1.7.0

The latest Affinity apps currently require .NET 4.7.2 (minimum) to run but I can’t remember when this requirement kicked in so I don’t know if that would affect an upgrade from 1.7.1 – which you say is running okay.
I quickly scanned the release notes for 1.7.1 to 1.7.3 and there don’t seem to be any major issues that would affect an upgrade but I didn’t do a thorough check.
This might need a member of the development team to have a look at (after January 3rd) but, in the meantime, you could try looking through the FAQs https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/90-frequently-asked-questions-faq/ and seeing if there’s any answer there.
Apologies that I can’t be of much more help but this looks like it is beyond my knowledge of the software.

Thanks to you for giving this some consideration. Net 4.7.2 was the download it did automatically and it said it was successful so i don't think it has much to do with that. On whole I am quite happy to be using earlier vrs of the program. i don't really know what is different in the latest vrs.

On 12/30/2019 at 12:01 PM, jumbodufus said:

I just downloaded and installed latest vrs of Affinity Photo. To me it seems like a Beta vrs because it is so slow on Windows Platform. Everything I do on it seems to take ages-Every task is laborious even just zooming in and out. Nothing feels intuitive anymore. Even Export calculations are taking forever. This has seriously reduced workflow times and overall  enjoyment of the program. I will be going back to previous versions if I cannot get it sorted. seems a step backwards and that why I am suggesting it feels more like a Beta vrs. It feels on the border of crashing all the time!

I am using Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 on Windows 10, all operating system updates done, 32Gb RAM, relatively good graphic card (4Gb) and what I've noticed compared to previous versions is that Affinity photo is sometimes really slow for zooming and especially for export function. Even simple move of quality slider takes time and mouse will change jumpy and hard to control, system sort of freezes for a moment and then returns back. Same with the layers, for example live unsharp mask, sliders comes sluggish and slow and mouse is jumpy. I can't find similar behavior from any other software I am using. Out of the curiosity I tried old PS I do still have and it does work perfectly fine for similar functions.  Maybe there is something wrong with the settings of my PC, what I haven't yet figured out but again, I was not having similar strange behavior with earlier versions of Affinity Photo.

• 1 month later...

I am using Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 on Windows 10, all operating system updates done, 32Gb RAM, relatively good graphic card (4Gb) and what I've noticed compared to previous versions is that Affinity photo is sometimes really slow for zooming and especially for export function. Even simple move of quality slider takes time and mouse will change jumpy and hard to control, system sort of freezes for a moment and then returns back. Same with the layers, for example live unsharp mask, sliders comes sluggish and slow and mouse is jumpy. I can't find similar behavior from any other software I am using. Out of the curiosity I tried old PS I do still have and it does work perfectly fine for similar

I have/had the same problem.  I am using 144 hz monitor and when I set vertical sync from Nividia control panel to: adaptive half resfresh rate it's smooth.

But still problem when exorting some pictures, really slow.