You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

adding style not working

I'm using affinity designer v1.7.3 on a mac.  I create a line style, for example, I create a 1pt line with an arrow head on each end.  I opposite mouse click and select create style, works fine.  I create a new line, 1pt, arrow on one end.  Opposite mouse click, select create style and it does nothing.  I've tried selecting "Add style from Selection"; same issue, nothing happens.

I have a dozen or so of these types of style variations varied thickness, dashed lines fills etc. including variations on text styles to setup.

Can someone please help.  I am seriously considering transitioning away from all adobe products in favor of Affinity, though, a basic hurdle at the outset of creating my basic setup is discouraging.

Sincerely,

Tom

• Staff

Hi tomimgamedev,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums!
There is a known issue where styles don't get added if a line colour hasn't changed. Would you be able to try on your document just changing the line colour and see if that does add the style to the list. If that does work it definitely sounds like the same issue!

Hi Sean!  Thank you! for the super fast response and yes if I change the line color, I can then add it as a new style.  How soon will there be a fix?  For my work, my style sets are essential and would be unable to efficiently shift away from AI illustrator until there's fix.

Tom

TIP: I've found a temporary workaround; in case anyone else is interested in saving a number of "black" line styles.  With each iteration of a line type, I adjust one of the color values by an increment of 1, thereby retaining the nearly complete black line value and enabling it to be saved as as new style.  This will enable me to at least work in designer to see if it's a viable replacement for adobe.

I hope there maybe a sw fix soon.

• 1 year later...

This is still unfixed FEB 2021 and a right pain - it breaks the whole style system, I want a line the same colour/width but with and without arrow heads and no you can't do it - the only workaround is to add a category for one type of line cap and a different category for the other type of line cap so 'No Arrow' and 'Arrow' and then switch categories - which is just a bust. If you could merge style categories then you could again fix it but no you can't as the .astyles files are binary and importing styles doesn't merge them.

It's these little seemingly trivial to fix but unfixed system breaking bugs that really annoy me about this product.