You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pencil vs Brush tool? - Vector persona

Hi.

Maybe another silly question, but in the Vector Persona, what exactly is the difference in function/use between the Pencil and the Brush tool?

I see one can apply to all the preset brush strokes to the Pencil ... and with the Brush tool it can be set to do a basic line just like the pencil tool, just with extra customizable settings of course ...,

So why even bother with the pencil tool ... or am I missing something major here? (Probably am and hoping to be happily informed of what I’m not getting ... )

TIA

• Staff

Hi RobRed :)

The Pencil Tool allows you to draw basic vector freehand lines - no brushes - with pressure if needed.

The Vector Brush Tool also allows you to draw/paint vector freehand paths but using brushes - both simple vector based strokes similar to the Pencil but with a few variables/settings, as well as based on raster textures stretched or repeated along the path.

Many designers use the Pencil tool to roughly sketch their design, then lock these strokes and create their final piece using the pencil strokes as a guide. Essentially the Pencil Tool is designed for simple vector lines, whereas the Vector Brush tool allows for much more customizability, control and creativity!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!