You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG Exports Hidden/Unselected Layers [1.7.1]

When exporting to SVG, all layers appear to be included in the file. However, exporting to PDF only the selected/visible layers appear to be included.

Even though the "hidden" layers do not display, the images being included in the file, not only does it unnecessarily increase the file size, it also causes problems when importing the file into my laser cutter software. For some reason the Glowforge software displays all of the images. I discovered that the PDF version of the file is much smaller, and the Glowforge software only displays the layers I selected.

I am learning Affinity Designer to help my wife make items to cut/engrave on our laser cutter. Essentially the file consists of circles to be cut out with flowers on them. However, the flowers get transferred to the wood before we use the Laser Cutter to cut & engrave the wood.

I have attached the 3 files I spoke of. While the SVG will not display the hidden images in the preview app, the images are embedded in that file.

Flower Necklace 2.afdesign

Flower Necklace 2.pdf

Flower Necklace 2.svg

Glowforge UI: Flower Necklace 2.PDF

glowforge-pdf.png

Glowforge UI: Flower Necklace 2.SVG

glowforge-svg.png

Edited by BrianHanifin
adding Glowforge screenshots for reference

• Staff

Hi BrianHanifin,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is working as intended. Most "image flowers" on your document are still NOT hidden and so they are included in the export. The "images" are not visible on canvas (despite their enabled visibility status) because they are all clipped inside the minor circle (layers labelled as hole) on the top of each major circle and their position (the flowers) never match the small circle (hole layer) thus they don't appear anywhere. If you move the images up a little so they are placed in the same area as that small circle (hole layers) you will see them appearing inside the small circle.

In the sample file below I've hidden all the "flower images" (they are vector objects) and if you export the file as SVG you will see it only weights 19kb.

Flower Necklace 2_MEB.afdesign