You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing with Affinity new update 1.7.1

Since upgrading to Affinity 1.7.1 the printing functions and layout have changed.  I am having a hard time printing an 8x10 and wasting an awful lot of paper and ink. 

This is a screenshot before the upgrade.

550320125_AFFINITYPRINT1.thumb.jpg.11bd0c0259e46fc9ce00e027c30c4109.jpg

The second photo is a screeenshot for the new print screen in upgrade 1.7.1.  Can you help me in printing a decent sized photo.  I am using 11 x 8.5 Canon Piixma Glossy Paper.

Affinity Print 1.7.1.jpg

In the "Fit Type:" pop up menu, try choosing "Fit To Printable" or "Shrink To Printable" instead of "Scale."

The red overlay indicates that the image is too large for all of it to fit on the page.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you, I did not know why it was red.  I have tried "Fit To Printable" and Shrink To Printable".  I really don't know why Affinity decided to change the print format with the update its proving difficult to print photos.  I wish I had not updated now.  Do you know if I can reverse it to the old version since  the update overwrite my old version so it's not there anymore.

25 minutes ago, Zachman said:

I have tried "Fit To Printable" and Shrink To Printable". 

So what happens when you do that?

FWIW, the Mac print options were changed at least in part due to complaints from Mac users that there were fewer print options in the Mac versions than the Windows ones. Also, because the Affinity apps use the native Mac OS print system, the layout of the options & what they are depend on the make & model of the printer & the driver software installed for it (usually supplied to Apple by the printer manufacturer & automatically installed with OS updates).

There are some good reasons to use the native print system but unfortunately, because so much is printer-specific the downside is it can be hard to find comprehensive documentation for how everything works. Often, the printer owner's manual is the best source but sometimes it skimps on Mac-specific info or never gets updated for new Mac OS versions.

As for going back to the previous Affinity version, you can find quite a few topics here discussing that, but how to do it & if it is even possible is better left to those topics. Also, be aware that if you do go back to 1.6, you can't open any Affinity native format files saved in 1.7. Besides, there are so many feature additions & improvements in 1.7 (with more to come in other updates) that sooner or later you will almost certainly want to update, so you might as well try to figure out how to use the new print options now.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7