You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Custom shape presets vrs Create custom shape PS

Affinity Designer 1.7 seems to have no way of creating a vector shape and saving it as a preset. One guy on youtube said you could but failed to explain how. In photoshop after creating a shape I just create it, right click define custom shape, then name it and it's added to my custom shape presets. This seems like it should be a no brainer in designer but when I hit the presets cog and get  the create preset pop up it's always grayed out even if the shape I have created is selected. Here are the instructions on Designer help:

To create new Custom tool presets:

• Select the shape you wish to create a new preset for and edit it to your liking.
  • From the shape's context toolbar, click the Presets icon.
  • From the pop up panel, select Create Preset from the preferences menu. Enter a name and category for your new preset, then click Create.

It does not work, very frustrating.

Afaik this will just work for the shape library not for drawn objects with the pen tool e.g. which can become assets or symbols for later use.

• take a shape from the list

• modify to your liking

• hit cog wheel - then list icon at top right corner: Create preset - done

when you convert the preset into a curve object the cog-wheel disappears