You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting Designer Image with Transparency for Final Cut Pro

Hello - A graphic designer has created an AI file with transparency, and I want to add this file (which is a logo) into Final Cut Pro.  From what I've read, the easiest option yielding good results is to open the AI file in Designer, and then export it using the "PSD (Final Cut Pro X)" option ...

So I've done this, and imported the file into an event within FCP. I then dragged the image into the timeline, but unfortunately the transparency is not retained.

I'm not sure if the problem is that I need to change how I export the file in Designer, or if that part is correct and I need to do something in Final Cut Pro to get the transparency to appear.

Note: In 'Document Setup' > Color, the 'Color Format' is currently "CMYK/8". I'm guessing this might be the problem, but if so I'm not sure what to change it to.

Thanks for your advice,
Jim

• Staff

Hi jmmbee :)

Could you please provide a copy of the .AI file here so we can investigate this for you? 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply!  So I've pretty much figured it out - the main problem was I didn't have "Transparent background" checked on the 'Color' tab in the 'Document Setup' dialog...

Also, following the advice at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/702735 , I changed the 'Color Format' to "RGB/8". And now when adding the logo in FCP, the transparency is retained and everything looks correct.

So I guess this topic now becomes a follow-up query to see if changing from CMYK/8 to RGB/8 is still necessary (or preferred) when preparing for FCP? I ask because that Apple discussion is from 2006, and it makes me wonder whether this is still the case. And if not, then whether CMYK/8 would now be preferable or if it even matters anymore...

- Jim

• Staff

No problem at all, I'm glad to hear you have since resolved this :)

12 hours ago, jmmbee said:

changing from CMYK/8 to RGB/8 is still necessary (or preferred) when preparing for FCP? 

Unfortunately I'm not certain and couldn't provide an answer to this, as I've not used FCP personally. There may be other members here on the forums who can help, or perhaps on FCP's unofficial forums? http://www.fcp.co/

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!