You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!  How I am supposed to cut outlines? I've created a Polygon picture and want to fill some triangles as shadow parts with lines. 

I now need to cut these lines. Please have a look at the attached image. The pink marked parts should be removed for example. 

Thank you! 

affqu.PNG

Hi, Quadrizeps,

First, a question. Are the polygons real polygons? That is, areas defined by nodes in 2D space that are connected.

Or, do you just have a collection of line vectors that meet/end in 2D space, but are not joined together.

If the areas are defined polygons, it is easier to take the shading lines, and nest them inside the polygon in what is called a parent-child arrangement. The parent shape will contain the line children. No need to cut them, only the portions within the parent will show.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi Gdenby, no it aren't real polygons. Only loose outlines. 

Would be a lot of more work to built a picture out of real polygons, not? But as you say, it would be easier to put the shading lines as children in the container. 

Is there any solution for my graphic now? 

Thanks. 

Not so much harder to make polygons. Just use the pen tool in polygon mode to start. Click for 3 nodes. Hit esc, click a new point, and then click back onto the ones already there. Repeat, repeat...

You can use the lines you already have drawn. Select 2 or more that will for a perimeter. Copy those, and paste, so the base lines are not used. W. the pasted lines selected, use the node tool, and click on the "join lines" widget. That will create am area perimeter.

Btw, you could make a set of parallel lines to use for shading that fills the entire drawing area. Then, add together the polugon laers that need the shading, and nest the shading lines inside. Many areas filled at once.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet