You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

text is lost when switching from facing pages spread to single page layout (long document)

I'm using Affinity Publisher Beta v. 1.7.0.249. I started with a facing-pages spread layout, and filled it with text (100+ pages). As an experiment -- since I know of a publishing house that requires single-page spreads and doesn't want two-page spreads -- I unchecked the "facing pages" box in the Document Setup dialog. All of my text disappeared! Images are still on the pages on which I placed them, but there is no text at all.

I had saved the document, and reverted to that version, so nothing was lost, but if I need to go to a single-page format, I'll have to recreate the entire document.

Is this a bug, or a feature that is still incomplete? It should work to switch the layout once the text is placed.

6 hours ago, SheriVan said:

As an experiment -- since I know of a publishing house that requires single-page spreads and doesn't want two-page spreads -- I unchecked the "facing pages" box in the Document Setup dialog.

The facing pages setting impacts how the pages are set up during the design phase - how you lay them out on the screen.

When you produce a PDF when facing pages are disabled, you get single pages in the PDF.

When facing pages are enabled, you can output either the spreads (both "pages" together as one page of the PDF) or individual pages (what the publishing company is asking for) to the PDF file depending on your export settings.

Short version, you can use the facing pages feature to lay out your documents and still output individual pages for the publisher, without turning it off.

6 hours ago, SheriVan said:

Is this a bug, or a feature that is still incomplete? It should work to switch the layout once the text is placed.

This definitely sounds like a bug to me.  Again, you do NOT need to turn off facing pages to output a PDF with individual pages - just change from "All Spreads" to "All Pages" in the export box.

Also, welcome to the forum!