You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change Text Input Language In Document To Match Windows Language Setting

In Windows (and I expect Mac as well) it’s possible to add multiple input languages via [Windows Settings > Time & Language > Language]; the user can then switch between languages on-the-fly either via the language selector icon on the Windows Taskbar, or by using the [Windows Key + Space bar] keyboard shortcut.

When typing in other applications, they recognise the language the user has selected in Windows and will automatically set the text in the document to match that language. This means that the spell checking feature checks the spelling in the language that’s set and that the user is typing in.

Affinity applications allow the user to manually change the language via the ‘Character’ panel, however it’s not possible to set it to change automatically. It would be useful if Affinity applications could recognise the language the user has selected in Windows and automatically change the text input language to match. This would mean the spell checking language would match the language the user is using to type, rather than basing it on the Affinity UI language in the Affinity preferences.

Below are steps demonstrating what I mean in LibreOffice, Windows Mail, Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher.

Edit:
I've since changed my mind about this.  The problem with this method is if you go on to change the Paragraph Style afterwards, the language tags will be lost as the text gets set to the Paragraph Style language.  So, while this method is quick and easy for say typing emails, for documents I think it's better to use Character Styles for the second language, and then manually apply that Character Style to any text in the second language; that way the language tags are kept when changing Paragraph Styles.  The System Language toggle [Windows Key + Space bar] would then just be used to switch to the 'United States International keyboard' layout in order to use special characters—such as Grave Accent for example—that are missing from the standard UK keyboard.

Edited by - S -
Added 'Edit' section