You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Invisible and disappearing text

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.249 on Windows 10

The setup: Create new file. Create a master page for Chapter Title (single page, recto) and a master spread (verso/recto, complete with text boxes. Create page and apply Chapter Title master. Create spread for pages 2 and 3 and apply verso/recto master to it. Place an RTF file that will result in approx 350 pages, beginning on page 1 (Chapter Title,) and manually flowed onto pages 2 and 3 (verso/recto,) (because if I autoflow from page 1, all newly-created pages, including 2 and 3, will have the Chapter Title master automatically applied.)

So far, so good. However, at the end of each chapter, I need to insert an odd-page break, and then apply the Chapter Title master to the next odd page. When I do so, the text is apparently deleted on the page where I apply the new master. Applying a new master (either of my masters) to any page(s) has the same effect. The text on those pages is deleted.

Alternatively, if I manually flow from page 1 to 2, then to  3 and beyond, the flow will not cause a conversion of master on consecutive pages as it does with autoflow, however at some point (in one test about 40 pages in, the text will become invisible on the next page. What I mean by invisible is that I cannot see the text, but it is apparently "there," because if I use CNTL+A to highlight all text, I can see the highlight on an otherwise blank page (see attached .pdf.) So in some way, the text exists; I just can't see it. If I apply a new master to any next page (say, to begin a new chapter,) then the text disappears again, by which I mean if I use a selection method like CNTL+A, there are no highlights on the newly-mastered page to indicate that text exists in some way that is invisible.

Nice that autoflow works on re-opened files now, but I would not expect it to convert pages I've already created to new masters.

Thanks for all the good work. Onward and upward.

Bruce Wilkinson

Spread.pdf

Hi, Jon,

I've worked with the original file through so many iterations that I've lost the precise copy from which I produced the screen shot. I apologize for that. I should have seen this request coming. I started over again and produced the attached file, with history saved this time. I hope it helps. The gist of it is that the original Autoflow from page one created all the pages necessary to contain the document but the text displayed only page two, with no evidence of text on page three or beyond. I manually flowed page two to three, three to four, etc., until I came to chapter two, at which point I inserted an odd page break. At that point, I was able to duplicate the original screen shot situation, where text was not visible after a manual flow to the next page, but with a CNTL+A command, the highlight where text should be displayed is visible. The history shows all of this.

I hope this helps. It seems to me to be a complicated issue, but then I suppose many of your beta issues are complicated. Thank you all for the great work you've done so far and continue to do. I'll say one thing about this process. In my attempts to find out if I did something wrong or if I exposed a bug, I'm getting to know my way around AP quite well, so that when all of this produces the first release version, I'm going to be pretty smooth at doing what I need to do to produce the work I produce.

Good luck!

Recreate WEST Test.afpub

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.