You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issue with "." in superscript not displaying as superscript

Hello, I have. number of values I would like to be able to display in superscript following a description in text which references the version number when the feature was introduced. Each of these version numbers are numeric and have a major and minor version number such as 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0

In a text entry I can enter the value say "Decrypt1.2", select the "1.2" and then set the character as superscript. Both of the numbers will immediately display as superscript characters but  the "." does not appear as superscript.

To add confusion Publisher will display this correctly if the text is copied in word with the value already set as superscript and then pasted into the text box. The result of this is shown in the third example.

Attached are three screen captured examples as follows:

1. Example 1 - Correct behaviour in MS Word
  2. Example 2 - Incorrect behaviour - Publisher 1.7.0.206
  3. Example 3 - Correct behaviour - Publisher when pasted from MS Word

This behaviour has been apparent in all of the versions of Publisher but I did not notice it until recently when I had to add some values to existing text. It is apparent in 1.7.0/206 and the previous version.

While there is a work around this usually interrupts the workflow and requires lots of other attributes to have to be adjusted when copying in from MS Word.

Thanks, Greg

Example 1 - Correct behaviour in MS Word.png

Example 2 - Incorrect behaviour - Publisher 1.7.0.206.png

Example 3 - Correct behaviour - Publisher when pasted from MS Word.png

There are two different superscript options on Publisher: one of them is in the Typography panel and only allows for superscript characters that are provided by the font you are using, and the other is in Position and Transform and scales down the non-superscript characters which means it works for any character in the font regardless of whether or not the font provides a superscript version.

It looks like you are using the option in the Typography panel instead of the one in Position and Transform.  When you paste from Word it is most likely setting the correct option, in Position and Transform.

More details in this thread (and a few others that are floating around):

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.