You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo could not be launched

I'm trialling Affinity Photo on Mac. Main reason is that I need the facility to fix converging verticals in architectural photos which my version of Photoshop elements can't do. I've enabled Affinity Photo as an extension and followed the procedure to edit a photo but when I select the option: 'edit in Affinity photo' I get the error message : 'Affinity Photo could not be launched; Please press cancel' but other Affinity options such as Affinity Haze Removal do work. What's going wrong? (Mac High Sierra)

48 minutes ago, John Fleet said:

... I've enabled Affinity Photo as an extension and followed the procedure to edit a photo but when I select the option: 'edit in Affinity photo' I get the error message : 'Affinity Photo could not be launched ...

When you say as an extension I assume for Apple Photos here?

However, try to just open/start the Affinity Photo application itself and load the images to edit inside via File -> Open instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

yes, I do mean Apple Photos. I can, of course, export photos from Apple Photos and edit them in Affinity Photo then re-import them into Photos but that's terribly clunky and I don't think I should have to do this - clearly other specific features of Affinity Photo can be invoked within Photos so surely the full app should be available?

For me but under an older OS X version than yours, when in Apple Photos, I can use there the Edit -> Extensions ... and then Edit in Affinity Photo menu popup in order to start and take over the selected image into APh. - Seems to behave then different for you here under High Sierra.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

For me but under an older OS X version than yours, when in Apple Photos, I can use there the Edit -> Extensions ... and then Edit in Affinity Photo menu popup in order to start and take over the selected image into APh. - Seems to behave then different for you here under High Sierra.

OK - thanks - if I do it your way then it seems to work - but not if you do it the way Apple suggests - very odd!