You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a Chalkboard vector?

Hi guys,

I recently (last week) purchased both Designer and Photo. I am more of a general hobbyist who plans on using these a few times a year to do some simple Game Day Thread boards for my Hockey and Football forums. I have used Photoshop for these in the past and given my scarce usage I moved to Affinity.

Back to the topic at hand, I am trying to create a simple chalkboard in Designer so that I can use it as a background for displaying some simple player statistics. Does anyone have steps on how to create a chalkboard background/gradient in Designer? It would help me out a lot if someone could provide me with this information.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Some longer time ago I was using some chalk like brushes for little artworks and used as backgrounds some chalkboard images, since those mostly look more realistic here in this regard. However there are also a bunch of vector based drawn chalkboards available on the net, which you can take a look on as a starting point how those are drawn (take a look through their layers etc.). - Below is such a vector based one you can take a look on.

chalkboard.afdesign

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Just now, v_kyr said:

Welcome to the forum!

Some longer time ago I was using some chalk like brushes for little artworks and used as backgrounds some chalkboard images, since those mostly look more realistic here in this regard. However there are also a bunch of vector based drawn chalkboards available on the net, which you can take a look on as a starting point how those are drawn (take a look through their layers etc.). - Below is such a vector based one you can take a look on.

chalkboard.afdesign

Thanks @v_kyr I will check them out. I just did spend some money at the Creative Market store and also purchased a chalk font package that comes with vector based backgrounds but it would be nice to learn how to create such backgrounds .. :)

Hello akshtray,

You can draw a black rectangle and cross it out with thick white lines, reduced opacity and playing with the blend to simulate sponge or eraser cloth strokes. The whole thing therefore remains vectorial.

I just did a quick test, the wooden frame is not really vectorial since I used a style, but the rest is.

Tableau noir.png

8 minutes ago, reglico said:

Hello akshtray,

You can draw a black rectangle and cross it out with thick white lines, reduced opacity and playing with the blend to simulate sponge or eraser cloth strokes. The whole thing therefore remains vectorial.

I just did a quick test, the wooden frame is not really vectorial since I used a style, but the rest is.

Tableau noir.png

Excellent. And thanks!

Will give this a go as well.