You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IR and WB, repeatability?

I'll quickly compare Affinity to ACR because I think it is the quickest way to under stand my question.  In ACR I set WB off a gray card shot in the light the images were shot in.  In ACR to get past the minimum 2000K issue I make a camera profile which will allow me to adjust the WB scale.  The WB numbers in the new custom camera profile seam to be meaningless on the actual scale but they are repeatable, so:  I can go in to the gray card shot, set the new camera profile, switch to WB, use the dropper, get a set of numbers which I can record or use as a preset when bringing the actual images in and I have repeatability.

With Affinity I can bring the gray card image in, don't need to make a camera profile and use the WB dropper to set neutral and Affinity seems to get by the 2000K issue on its own.  All well and good but the numbers, like ACR are meaningless and the scale seems to have shot into another area.  The problem is I can't repeat them on the image that doesn't have the gray card.  All the new WB settings from the dropper are at max yellow and read 25,000 K, so obviously, like ACR they are meaningless.  Is there any other way to get repeatability via a preset?  I looked at opening the gray card shot and the image to be WBalanced at the same time hoping a snapshot or something in that part of the menu would give me a preset but no luck from that area.

Any suggestions?  I shoot with a number of different filters so an in camera preset from grass will be really clunky and I only have 4 presets available in camera whereas I shoot with 5 different filters and actually 8 if I count three others on a lens I use occasionally that has behind the glass filters.

I've seen that there are other IR shooters around but the info is scattered over some years.

Edited by abcd
clarity