You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys,

Why when I try to import one of those files I can't never have the fonts of the original document?

I have a manual done at Freehand and I would like to convert it to Affinity, but I can't.

Same fonts are on Parallels part (with freehand) and Mac. At windows part is alright but at Mac part I can't.

Thanks

• Staff

Hello! :)

Unfortunately we can't read Freehand text properties at the moment - we've tried our best to make Freehand artwork come in properly, but text is very tricky because there is no file format specification for Freehand anywhere (it is a proprietary format that we have tried our best to make import correctly by looking at the documents users have sent us) and there are so many options to do with text that it is a big unit of work that will benefit fewer people than some of the other things we have left to do... Even when we get the text importing correctly it is extremely likely it will layout differently so your documents will not look as intended anyway...

That's not to say we won't try to get it working - we'll get to it when we can, but other things have to take the priority over this, I'm afraid :(

Thanks,

Matt

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately, it hasn't been worked on since my last message on the subject - I appreciate that's a year ago now, but please don't think we aren't interested... As stated before, we do intend to try to to get FH text working, but it's a large area to cover and it means a significant undertaking (it's undocumented so it's a lot of guesswork) for what is essentially a fairly niche extra (it's a subset of a subset, realistically) so it has to come after other features that would benefit more users :( The other problem is that even when text imports perfectly, it will still be very unlikely that it will flow 100% as per the original document due to differences in text formatting/layout engines - so it still won't be a seamless experience.

I know that's probably not exactly what you were hoping to hear, but I'd prefer to be transparent about the reasons why it hasn't progressed to date and I hope that you can see why?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.