You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

inpaint tool inconsistencies

This may be something that should be a BR, but thought I'd check first.   One of the things that has really wowed  me in AP is the inpaint tool.  But tonight it didn't work.  Not at all.  Not after saving, and restarting.  Same with the clone tool.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Update:  still not obvious whether it is a bug or what, but went back to the same image after an hour and inpaint tool worked fine.  Will keep trying and keep a record of the results.

Update:  still not obvious whether it is a bug or what, but went back to the same image after an hour and inpaint tool worked fine.  Will keep trying and keep a record of the results.

Are you sure you had the image layer selected? If you have an adjustment layer selected (or none at all) the Inpainting tool, like many others, will not work since it does not have a layer to work on.

I have had this happen to me so I am just asking. No disrespect intended.

Mike - absolutely no disrespect taken, I appreciate you taking the time to consider what may have been going on and post a response, thanks.

I'm pretty sure all was well with the layer selections, but I have gone back to square 1 and started all over again from the RAW image, and everything worked fine, so the most likely source of the problem is ... me  :wacko:

• 1 month later...

I have had the same issue!!

I make sure the picture is selected, but as soon as I click on the inpainting tool, The image deselects. It is only in ONE window in the Affinity Photo program. I had used the tool earlier today, and it worked fine. I can use the tool on all other documents, just not the one I need to change.

This has happened before, and usually it works after an hour or so.... but it is still annoying!

Welcome to AP Beta Forum average_human!

It's been a while since my original post and I've encountered the "not working" issue 3 or 4 times since then.  In every instance it was because I did not have the image layer selected.  Like I said in my reply to MikeFromMesa on 22nd March, the source of the problem was indeed ... me!

What do you mean when you say "I make sure the picture is selected"?  Do you mean that when the Layers tab is open in Studio, the image (Background) layer is selected?  The reason why it works after an hour may not be because 60 minutes have passed, but because you have re-opened the image file and the Background layer is all that is present and open.

(Asking "What do you mean" in the above is only to make sure that I have a correct understanding of what is happening - I'm not implying anything negative).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.