You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failing to open after crash

After creating a document I saved the file with a name and the default extension. I continued to work on the document until completed. Then as I went to save it, a warning came on screen that this document type was not supported and would be closed. I closed the entire application down and reopened a minute later. The created file still will not open by either using file then open or even when double clicking it from the desktop. Any ideas how I can recover the work?

The only thing that I've done since the last successful save was to add a page in Landscape mode rather than Portrait. Could that be what is confusing it and if so, how can I recover any of the document please? I've attached the file for your attention

090918-sunday.afpub

EDIT: Since this request for help, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software - still failing to open. I've also created a new document with mixed layout pages, saved and successfully reopened them. I've tried to open my original file with other programs such as notepad, word etc but only get symbol coding. I've renamed the file extension to similar formats such as .ppp, .afdesign, etc and it simply wont open. There were three pages in the publication. Is there any way of editing the code in notepad to a point where I can at least recover some of the original? By the way, when I attempt to open the file with affinity, I get a notice stating this file type is not supported!

Edited by nodecks
further information

NEW UPDATE 11th SEPTEMBER 2018:

About one day after I reported the issue above, I created a document using X9 and saved it into the same folder as always for this work. This was the same folder as where I had stored the file I had problems with in Affinity. The folder was on a 128gb flash drive. A few hours after creating this new file with X9, I went back to it to open and add something. It failed to open for pretty much the same reason as the original affinity file.

Though I'd been taking no notice of it, whenever I inserted the flash drive into the usb, Windows always reported that there was a problem with this drive and wanted to correct it. I always allowed it, though nothing seemed to happen. Anyway, it transpires that there is a fault with this flash drive. I've checked that it really is a 128gb drive and all the software I've used to test it seems to agree that it is 128gb. I've filled it with 128gb of videos and they all seemed to be there. However, there is a major fault with the drive and most likely is that it isn't really a 128gb drive (a clone). I know it didn't cost me much so I come to the conclusion the drive was unreliable and have since taken the files off it and dumped it.

So at this moment of writing this, I'm not convinced that the reported file issue with Affinity is entirely the fault of the software. I have created a few test documents with the program and have since experienced no issues. The conclusion is most likely that my reported bug was an issue with a drive storage device rather than the software. I'm putting this on the forum as a reminder to others that occasionally faults are often found elsewhere. Thank you and my apologies. I've always been a massive fan and user of Serif products, going back many years.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.