You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I was wondering if there was something similar to this in Affinity Photo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX7L6lwe3QI

I tried some tools, but always got the same result:

First photo is done with red rectangle with opacity lowered to 20%

Second photo is done with red rectangle as well, but I tried to lower fill opacity in the layer effects dialog

Third photo is done with Colour overlay in layer effects dialog and opacity of the tool is lowered to 20%

As you can see, everything produced the same output. (Btw. I used Hard Mix blend mode)

(And OK, I could just select another blend mode or just try to done those colors some other way, but still.... is there some easy way to do this?)

opacity vs fill.jpg

• Staff

Hi tony.safarik

If you set your blend mode to something like overlay ( I recommend trying a few different ones for the best result.) then click the cog in my attached image you will be able to set the blend range for that layer which is similar to the slider used in your video.

Thanks

Callum

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 08.04.39.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi

Ok, so I tried this, but unfortunately, it seems that it is doing pretty much the same job as lowering just the opacity (with the difference that the way you suggested to do it I can control opacity of just smaller parts of the layer range). There's no problem with blend mode like overlay since it produces nice results and lowering just the opacity is more than ok. But once you try to use Hard mix (like the guy in the tutorial, 3:36), the image starts to look bad since there's a lot of colors with channel sum equal to 255, and lowering anything doesn't seem to help - the colors are still looking pretty bad, but with lower opacity :1_grinning:

I tried to download the same image he is editing in the tutorial, and I was able to pretty much match the result with two red rectangles both set to soft light (the second rectangle had opacity set to roughly 65%) and a little levels tweaking. So, there is a way to achieve the same result, but it seems it can't be done the same way as he's done it in photoshop.