Sign in to follow this  
hifred

Desktop Apps: Faster and more elegant Zoom + Pan behavior

I wished there was a way to increase the Zoom Factor for interactive Zooming of documents. As a long time Photoshop user I am heavily used to a far higher default Zoom multiplier in their Scrubby Zoom. In order to zoom in from 100 to 200% on a 800x800 px document one in PS only needs to move the mouse or the pen a few millimeters sideways – faster dragging even increases the enlargement speed. What might sound crazy indeed works extremely well (it’s Photoshop’s default scrubby zoom behaviour). And zooming and panning also looks nice, because motion doesn’t stop harshly: There’s a dash in of inertia (easing out) added as seemingly also the case in your Ipad apps.

In Affinity apps for the same 800x800px document my hand needs to travel at least 3 times the distance, for every larger document (any RAW) one even needs to travel the input device a few times in a row (set the hand back to the starting point) and motion stops harshly as soon as one lets go. You certainly do not like reading this – but this all feels sluggish to me. Can Zoom and Pan get a speed boost and some polish please?