jhazel0705

Using a pixel image as a layer mask

Good evening .....

I am working on a texture course and I would love to use a texture as a layer maks in Affinity designer. I have watched the below tut on photoshop, and it SHOULD ( notice if it DID I wouldn't be in here lol)....work the same as in in Affinity Designer . 

I have the bark texture I want ...., and then I want o apply it over some base text....NOTE I do not want a clipping mask, but rather a layer mask  and I have  my text......

I am loking to take the .jpg of te bark and use it as the layer mask...I have included a link to the tutorial I am inspired by....I just do not know where Affinity breaks down in this process..I should be able to click inside the mask and say "use this photo"...but it doesn't work 

Any thoughts????

bark 1 flat.jpg

texture trial fily.afdesign