You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting a circle; I must be missing something

I have a photo that includes several round balls.  I want to select one of the balls, which is mostly round and I would like to use the 'Elliptical Marquee Tool' not the Selection Brush because I can 'see' the edges I want better than the Selection Brush.  But I just don't get how to use the Elliptical selection tool.  If I start a new selection at say point X, Y, the larger the selection, the more the 'top left' corner moves off of X,Y to a new position, X+a, Y+b.  My selection ends up not aligning perfectly the ball.  How do I micro adjust the selection to get the proper alignment?  I don't have the 'balls' shot handy but assume this light is a ball and I want to very carefully select a round object.  I don't understand why I can't start the circle at the top left edge or how to properly refine it later

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG

The 'Elliptical Marquee Tool' is sometimes hard to size and position adequately, though you can also move it in small pixel steps via the cursor keys. To refine it go to the top bar and press the "refine" button which gives you a panel with some adjustment sliders for finer grade setup.

However another often better way to setup/get a good visable round elleptical selection is, to use the shape tool and draw and adjust first a fitting shape covering/over the round areas. This gives you a layer with an elliptical shape from which you can make a selection with the menu entry "Selections -> Select from Layer". The result will be too a elleptical selection, which here goes conform to the setup elliptical shape. You can then delete the shape and keep the selection for any further processing.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2