You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UI delays and fades (Affinity Designer)

I've been living with this for a long time now, thinking perhaps I might get used to it, but I haven't, and it still feels like it is unnecessarily slowing down my workflow.

There are two issues here, but they feel related to me:

Selection outline fade out when deselecting an element

I either want to see a selection or I don't. Having a second in between every time I deselect something is quite frustrating. I want to work on something, see how it looks, repeat. Not working on something, wait a second, see how it looks.

Outline appears after about a second of hovering over an element

I'm not sure I if I need this hover feature at all, but if I do want to use it, I certainly don't want the delay. I am never going to sit with the mouse still and wait for it. I'm guessing this delay was added to prevent constant highlights, but I think holding down a key to get the highlight would be much preferable to a time delay.

Additionally, I'm not sure why it fades out again almost immediately. This feature as it is just means I get shapes fading in and out every now and again, which is quite distracting.

These two issues seem like things that could be configured in preferences, but I can't see a way to do so currently.

• Staff

Hi smth,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I believe you are talking about a purple outline that appears in certain circumstances (it may fade away or stay visible depending on the settings you have chosen) - that line indicates which objects are snapping candidates and can be configured to suit different workflows or turned off completely. To learn more about snapping candidates check the the following tutorial: Snapping: Candidates. Also check this help topic for a detailed description of all the Snapping settings.