You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know this will sound rather basic but I'm struggling a little here to cut an element out of an image and exporting out as a png file for transparency purposes.

Here is my scenario, I have an image of 2000px x 1000px and I'm virtually trying to remove part of the image in the centre of it to then import as a layered object on another back ground, however, once the object has the marquee around it and I add a layer mask to give me a transparent background and then export, the cut out is there with a transparent background but still at the same dimensions, I just need what I'm cutting out to be the overall size of the image being cut  when I export it, to then be used in other projects at later dates. Does anyone know a quick or easy way of achieving this to save me searching through all the video tutorials to find what I'm look for.

Thanks in advance guys and gals, appreciated ;)

Not sure if I understand you correctly here, but if you cut out just a selected portion of a 2000px x 1000px image -let's say a 800px x 400px portion-, then of course what you cutted out has usually only the cut out portion size and not the whole image size. Either you have to transform/scale up/resize the cut out to the desired image size, in case you want the cut out to cover the whole 2000px x 1000px image size. - Or in case you mean that (?), just make a new 2000px x 1000px document/image with a transparent background and then place/copy over just your cut out (in the cut out size) on that new image and save the whole new image as a PNG.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2