You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard Shortcut Symbols Dont Match My Keyboard (Australia)

My keyboard symbols don't match your keyboard shortcut symbols. I live in Australia. I am using my original iMacs keyboard. 

Is this just a difference between countries. So in help I get confused, will you be changing this?

Thanks I am enjoying learning....great fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Try thinking in terms of the underlying shortcuts, what the symbols are trying to represent.

I don't know the Unicode for the symbols, but these are what you need to translate each into to get the right results

command

alt/option (this is the same key with two names)

control

shift

The big up Arrow = Shift

The > sign pointing up = Control

The weird thingy with a / in the middle with a tail = alt/option

And the four leaf clover = command

So if your keyboard has different symbols for these four keywords, then you can reverse match back through the words that the symbols mean.

======

Otherwise... you might have an issue with having set a UK/British/Australian keyboard to American language keyboards... as the Aussie keyboard is actually of the UK family of keyboards, and switching to the American language (in the keyboard settings) can sometimes corrupt the shortcuts a little, as there are some differences between the two layouts. And their used to be more differences than there are in newer models.

We're all being homogenised. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.