You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have to save images cut from PDF's as optimized web images. I have a list of standard sizes they must conform to, and a file size maximum. Is there a way I can create a macro or list of custom sizes to export? Further, is there a 'snap to edges' crop feature? I'm trying to love this as a Photoshop replacement, but it's slowing my workflow, with these basic steps.

You have to work the other way round. Because the  size is dictated by the size they need to conform to, make a "template" document for each of the standard sizes you want. Say 600 pixels by 600 pixels, 600 x 400 and so forth.

"Place" the PDFs you need to crop, one after the other in the document. If you "place" the PDFs they will all be cropped to the exact document size of 600 x 600, you can zoom and move the PDFs to suit. Export the cropped file, then load the next PDF.

You can use layers to load several PDFs into each document if you want as exporting will only export the visible layer.

I made a Place shortcut   Alt + P

and an Export shortcut    Alt + S

That makes it a very fast process as you don't even need to use the crop tool or enter any settings. Alt + P to place, drag to size and position (or Zoom), Alt + S to Export.

As for the file size, you can adjust the quality slider for each image as you export it.

I don't know what "snap to edges crop" means. Sorry

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I need to export them as web images, not PDFs. Let's leave the template out of it, and walk before we run.

I've found it difficult to both resize and lower resolution; three times out of four, the image is too large for the upload software, even if I go to "Document--Resize--and lower DPI, hit resize, then go back in and alter the pixel sizes. THEN "File-Export ---and often I have to resize the image in this second step. This is wonky.

(I'm taking images from a PDF version of newspapers to place them on their website. The print ads don't fit the website standard sizes. I have to reduce the width or height to fit the standards, if I stretch it, it seems to increase the file size pretty substantially.)

My primary need is to understand what method/order is need to reduce the DPI in the Document and resize it to fit. Three times out of four, this doesn't work, and the document exceeds the 256 kb limit. I've found that taking a screenshot, and working with that, is more effective than importing the PDF where the images often are 600 DPI.  I haven't found anything useful in videos or "Help".

9 minutes ago, GoldNotSilver said:

My primary need is to understand what method/order is need to reduce the DPI in the Document and resize it to fit. Three times out of four, this doesn't work, and the document exceeds the 256 kb limit. I've found that taking a screenshot, and working with that, is more effective than importing the PDF where the images often are 600 DPI.  I haven't found anything useful in videos or "Help".

That is what I was explaining.

If you place a PDF in a 600 x 600 pixel document and export it as a JPEG it will be 600 x 600 pixels. It is a bit like a screengrab but with far more control and every image will be 600 x 600 pixels. Or whatever document size you set.

You don't need to do anything else

It does not put on a border. I have produced hundreds of web images this way.

This is the document created as 600 x 600 pixels.

600x600.jpg.c88edad1ec1caac2d272fd6889b6f700.jpg

I placed a file (doesn't matter if an image or PDF) and zoomed it in the document. You can see the blue bounding box of the original outside the canvas area. So the image is being cropped by the 600 x 600 document canvas.

placed.jpg.48afc63fbb42a0e3516b3548cc45a5f9.jpg

I exported it using these settings. The image file is dictated by the quality, here 34.70 kb. Adjust that to suit, it doesn't matter what the original image size is.  

Every image will be 600 x 600 pixels because that is the document size, It won't change.

setting.png.87c9000d3c485d5ad51f530502ade6ad.png

this is the result

butterfly.jpg.ed5290e9b7f220f9376cda63f3b11ef3.jpg

a perfect JPEG web image 600 by 600 pixels at 34.70 kb. No border !

Place more PDFs and export them, they will all be 600 x 600 pixels. Image size will vary slightly but you can tweak that by dragging the quality slider.

This is the 600 x 600 file

600x600doc.afphoto