You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guidelines on getting best performance...

I have an iPad Pro 9.7 inch with 2 GB of RAM, 32 GB of storage and it has the A9X 2.16 GHz chip, a dual core, and a 12 core GPU. So far I have no complaints in terms of performance but I do wonder if you guys at Serif have suggestions on how to get the best performance with Photo.

I will throw out an example. I have a friend with an iPad Air 2, and she will always complain of things being sluggish. I take the iPad and look at how many apps she has open and it is ridiculous, something like 20 apps. She had the Status app installed so I open that and go to the memory tab and while the iPad may have 2 GB of memory, it is only showing a measly 25 MB of free memory left. I must confess I don't understand the specifics of the different categories like Wired, Active, Inactive, Other and Free when the Status app gives you the breakdown. But, I figure why not close out all of the other apps and leave the one she wants to work in open and see what that does? So double click the home button and then swipe and close out all of those apps. I go back to the Status app and see that the free memory has gone up to 679 MB. She was able to work better in that one app from that point.

Now that is an isolated example but does that pertain to the Affinity Photo app too? How much memory does it need? It is best practice to not have a lot of apps open when using Photo?

In terms of storage, does Photo need a bare minimum of free space on the internal storage? I have 32 GB, but with the OS taking its chunk what I really have is 29.8 GB. Then when you start installing apps and whatnot  I end up with about 20 GB of free space. But you can quickly gobble up that remaining space by what videos, songs, photos, etc that you put on it. Before I started up Photo for the first time on my iPad, I decided to do some house cleaning and free up some space because at that point I was down to less than 10 GB of free space. I went into the Infuse app I have for watching movies and TV shows and deleted those videos. I went into my Comixology app and removed all of the comic books that I had finished reading. That was almost 4 GB of comics, I have the Comixolgoy Unlimited plan. So, in no time at all I had freed up 10 GB of disk space and was back to the 20 GB of free space.

I have 32 GB but some of the iPad Air 2's have as little as 16 GB. I have no idea how Serif has Photo use the memory, disk space, etc. I do know that many users don't concern themselves with closing apps and we have had many people say don't worry about it, but is that right? Some users will fill up their iPad and leave barely any free space.

I don't mean to ramble on but it would be great to have some guidelines on what to do, not do, best practices, etc.

-Mark