You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't paint on adjustment layer with paint brush.

I can't paint on an adjustment layer with paint brush.  

To verify, I started a new project with one photo, and added a Black & White adjustment layer.  If I select the paint brush tool, and set the color to black and attempt to paint out any part of the image with the adjustment layer selected, nothing happens (same with white).  Adjustment layer is not inverted.

Interestingly, if I use the flood fill tool, it behaves like the paint brush should, except it paints everything.  I have tried this on several different images with the same result.

I am on Affinity Photo 1.5.2, on a Mac on the current version of Sierra.

I have looked at other similar posts which verify what I'm trying to do should work, but there must be something I'm missing.  

The photos I'm using are all pre-processed in Lightroom.

Note, that if you paint on an adjustment layer it wont show up as black and white. All that happens is that you delete or add to the adjustment effect areas. Not always easy to see.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I have the opacity and the flow both set to 100%, and all I'm trying to do is to remove the adjustment layer effects from parts of a photo.  With a Black and White Layer it should be readily obvious.

It may be worth posting a screenshot.  Does the Paint Brush tool paint properly on a normal pixel layer?