You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exposure fusion - masking source images/layers

HI everyone,

I am playing with exposure fusion (following the tutorial

) -   in some situations I give preference to this method over HDR because it lets produce more natural looking images (and because AP's HDR processing is very slow) . 

It came into my head that it is possible to adjust contribution of separate layers by painting of mask with soft brush. It kinda works, but no matter how soft brush I use, the edge looks very harsh. 

Do I miss something fundamental about it?

post-55800-0-66098200-1496868090_thumb.jpg

HI everyone,

I am playing with exposure fusion (following the tutorial

) -   in some situations I give preference to this method over HDR because it lets produce more natural looking images (and because AP's HDR processing is very slow) . 

It came into my head that it is possible to adjust contribution of separate layers by painting of mask with soft brush. It kinda works, but no matter how soft brush I use, the edge looks very harsh. 

Do I miss something fundamental about it?

Yes, I believe so.

I am a bit hazy about the exact process, having never done it, but . . .

You should get a panel "Sources" (or open Sources in Studio) showing all the individual images in the stack. If you select the clone brush (rubber stamp) you can clone the layer you like to the foreground. You even get a preview as you hover. Obviously you will still have to adjust brush hardness.

Hopefully I'm right and somebody can explain that a bit more fluently but try it anyway ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Yes, I believe so.

I am a bit hazy about the exact process, having never done it, but . . .

You should get a panel "Sources" (or open Sources in Studio) showing all the individual images in the stack. If you select the clone brush (rubber stamp) you can clone the layer you like to the foreground. You even get a preview as you hover. Obviously you will still have to adjust brush hardness.

Hopefully I'm right and somebody can explain that a bit more fluently but try it anyway ?

You describe the process of manual HDR Ghost removal - it is pretty well described in the proper tutorial )

I am trying to stack exposures, it is different approach