You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tiff files with alpha missig background

Hi,

I am new to Affinity.

When i open file rendered in 3dsmax with an alpha channel, it opens with the background transparent.

Disable the transparency does not work because it gets rid of my sky in the image.

Affinty is opening my tiff files desconsidering part of the image.

In photoshop the sky is there, the alpha chanel is for me to decide what to do with it.

What am I missing?

How can I properly open a file with an alpha channel in it?

Best regards,

Fernando Blanco

• Staff

Hi Fernando Blanco,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is a known issue that's already logged (and assigned) to be looked at.

I bumped the report and added a reference/link to this thread. If you don't mind adding/attach a sample image i will also add it to the report.

Thanks.

To recover the whole image  go to the Channels panel, right click the Background Alpha layer (it may have other name depending on the name of your layer - it's the alpha that's located on the second section of the Channels panel, not the composite one on top) and select Create Spare channel to save it to a spare channel. Then right-click the Background Alpha again and select Clear, finally right-click on it again and select Invert. You should now have the whole image visible and the original alpha channel saved as a Spare Channel in case you need it.

Hi,

Doing as you described is a no go.

3 operations just to restore the image, and the worst part is that the alpha is no longer there.

In photoshop I just open the file, right click, load the selection and do my job.

There has to be a solution. The information is alredy in the file.I do not need to restore it.

I really like Affinity, it can do everythig and it is cheaper....... wich counts a lot.

In architectural renders alpha channels saved in Tiff or exr files are a must have. Some files have more than one render with different alphas for different parts to compose.

Best Regards,

Fernando Blanco

• Staff

Hi Fernando,

As i said this is a bug that's already logged to be looked at. It's not how the program is supposed to work.

The steps i described to "recover the missing part" were just a workaround so you can continue working with the image. The alpha channel was not discarded. It was saved as a Spare Channel on the Channels panel.

Hi,

I will wait.

To time consuming.

Hope it will be fixed soon.Really want to change to Affinity. Not an entirely new workflow to learn.

Off topic, I see you are in the city that I will live as soon as I can.Preparations are on the way.

For me Lisbon is fenomenal,  to say the least, as a brazilian I feel at home in Portugal.

Best Regards,

Fernando Blanco

• 2 years later...

Good,
I am a new user of the full Affinity package and I reopen discussion on this topic.
I see this problem persists after 3 years since the error was reported.
We use a lot of TIFF images with alpha, rendered from 3D programs.
Do you know if you are going to give it a quick solution?
The solution that you have provided at the beginning of this topic does not work for me.