You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Asset management and symbol variants

After accidentally discovering the assets (hello there, left side studio menu!) I've started integrating it into my workflow.

I like too that I can define symbols and define them as assets, and the symbol is imported into the document when I add the asset to the canvas. It means I can have a lot of control over what assets are symbols and make any consistent changes across all the symbols within that design file.

Now that I've been using the asset functionality creating categories, subcategories and adding the assets themselves, I have a few suggestions for extra functionality/improvement:

• Visually mark in collection if asset is a symbol
  • Ability to turn asset in collection into a symbol (in right-mouse click asset item context menu; maybe ability to detach as well is good)
  • Update asset in collection with selected object on canvas (in right-mouse click asset item context menu). It's a pain having to delete the asset, then re-add the asset if I've made any minor changes
  • I found there were times I was trying to drag the object's layer into the asset collection and it wouldn't work — I had to drag the object on the canvas itself into the asset collection

I also had another idea for symbols to support variations on properties/nested objects. I'd like to have a button design which I can have as a symbol, but can change the text of the button to something else that is not carried across all other symbols. Maybe that could be another button option in the symbol menu that I can select the object I want to be variable and mark it within the symbol?