You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting image to a set size

I am trying to export my image to the set size of 1600 x1200 pixels - sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for photography competitions.

Sadly.... I seem to just be either exporting at a 4:3 ratio but much bigger than 1600 x 1200 or it crops my image down to a tiny size!

Obviously user error - could you please direct me to an existing thread or help file please. 

Many thanks.

John

• Staff

Hi John,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Assuming the full size image have a 4:3 ratio, go to  menu File ▸ Export, then set the width to 1600 (press Enter to set the value), make sure the padlock icon between the fields is closed (the height should change automatically to 1200), select the Resampling method you prefer - usually Bicubic or Lanczos3 - then click the More button and choose the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 from the ICC profile dropdown or just keep it as Use document profile if you are already working with that profile. Close the More dialog and click the Export button in the main Export dialog.

• Staff

Hi 1jh1,

If the ratio isn't 4:3, resize the document as described above (keep the padlock closed) using the largest dimension of the document as the reference.

So for example lets suppose you have a portrait shot with 2000 px X 3000 px. You have to go to menu Document ▸ Resize and set the heigh (which is currently 3000px) to 1200px so the height of the image (no cropping here) will fit the 1600x1200 (4:3) format (keep the padlock closed to keep the current aspect ratio). Then go to menu Document ▸ Resize Canvas, set the size to 1600px - to enlarge the other dimension, in this case the width - to the you size you want so it can then be filled with black) - make sure the padlock icon is open since the height is already correctly set from the previous Document Resize operation -, set the anchor point to the center (to enlarge the canvas to both sides) and press Resize.

Finally to fill the backgrpund with black (or any other colour), go to menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer, select black from the Colour panel, and move the new fill layer to the bottom of the layers stack in the Layers panel. The original image now fits the 1600px X 1200px canvas you defined (no cropping) with black around it.

If you don't mind to crop the image to fit the 1600px X 1200px (loosing some parts of it) you can do so using the Crop Tool. Select it, set the Mode dropdown in the context toolbar to Absolute Dimensions, set the input fields to 1600 x 1200 (on the right of the Mode dropdown) then drag the grid on the canvas (from inside it) and position it over the area you wish to keep. Press Apply (context bar on the left) and your image is now 1600px X 1200px.

You can use Macros to automatise this type of operations.