You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys,

I'm a 3D artist and quite interested in buying Affinity Photo. But I want to know how does it perform and work with 32 bit images like HDR and EXR. This is a huge weakness in PS and I hope AP can fulfill this gap for me.

So, here are my questions:

-Can AP create layers, blending modes, apply filters, masks and whatever I can do with standard 8bit images, so I can work non-destructively?

-Is there any tone mapping tool in AP? Something on the lines of Camera Raw in PS? Does it work non-destructively too?

-Does it have a Lens Blur so I can use ZDepth to apply DOF in post?

To me it's very important to have non-destructive workflows as much as possible.

Thanks in advance,

-Eugenio

• Staff

Hey Eugenio, Photo has comprehensive 32-bit support and also has OpenColorIO integration. If you want to see some videos about OpenEXR and OCIO check out these playlists:

OpenEXR - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjZ7Y0kROWit_Nwo_XNn_Ii9j4_hKnDQp

Colour Management - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjZ7Y0kROWiuoA4y-63r-v3x9gHoPIq4e

Also, check out this video on using the 32-bit Preview panel to preview unbounded tonal ranges - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJBR7dXT4I

To answer your questions:

-Can AP create layers, blending modes, apply filters, masks and whatever I can do with standard 8bit images, so I can work non-destructively?

Yes, pretty much anything you can do in 8-bit or 16-bit, you can do in 32-bit. Some blend modes behave slightly differently but they all work. With the exception of Median, Bilateral and Dust & Scratches, all other filters work in 32-bit and can be used as live filter layers. All adjustments work.

-Is there any tone mapping tool in AP? Something on the lines of Camera Raw in PS? Does it work non-destructively too?

Yes, there's a Tone Mapping persona. To work non-destructively you would have to duplicate the image layer (or Merge Visible on your work done so far) then move into the Tone Mapping persona.

-Does it have a Lens Blur so I can use ZDepth to apply DOF in post?

Unfortunately not quite yet. There was a Z-Blur filter in an early beta of Photo but it wasn't working correctly and didn't make the cut for release. You can use a Z depth layer as a mask (Layer > Rasterise to Mask) but it won't get you quite the same result. Watch this space..

Hope that's helped, please let us know if you have more questions!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials