You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

After getting frustrated with 10-years old version of Photoshop I still own, and missing some features from Pixelmator, I decided to give Affinity a spin. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a trial on your website, only a purchase link to the Mac App Store. I didn't like the idea of spending 50€ on software I have never seen, but I decided to take the plunge.

The software is very impressive, but after few hours I got slightly frustrated with minor details. I honestly don't blame you guys for it, as they're mostly related to my own habits from Photoshop, Pixelmator and Sketch. I mean things like cutting selections, editing existing text layer (it's turned into curves, after committing with Cmd+Enter?), lack of direct transforms on selection – all possible with Affinity, but working slightly differently than in other apps. Seriously, it's not you, it's me – I'm just too used to shortcuts from other apps, so I decided it's best if I return it, and keep using programs I'm familiar with, for productivity sake.

Unfortunately, I bought the software from the Mac App Store and Apple sent me a message just after the purchase:

You have purchased Affinity Photo on 12 January 2017 and acknowledged that if you download or use this app within fourteen days of buying it, you will no longer be eligible to cancel this purchase.

In other words, I can't return it.

I'm now left with a piece of software I won't use, and 50 euros less in my bank account...

Only AFTER all of this I came up with the idea of googling up a trial version... and guess what, I found this!
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/signup/trial/photo/

PLEASE, link to the above page on Affinity website. It will save others from frustration and wasted money.

I'm a software developer myself, and I can live with giving 50 bucks to an indie company, especially if they made a good product. But given that the only way to purchase your software on Mac is via Apple's awful store (and, at least in my case, no way to get a refund), offering a trial version in a clear way would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

• Staff

Hi Braun,

Welcome to the Forums :)

I am sorry to hear you didn't get along with Affinity but were un able to return it. It may be worth contacting the Mac App Store Support team via phone as this is the first time I've heard of someone not being able to get a refund because the app was installed. The trials are usually available from our main website, the only reason they aren't linked at the moment is because we are in the process of updating them and we don't want people downloading the trial thinking it will be the most recent version when it isn't yet.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.