You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fill tool

Dunno where to post this, but:

- First, a wish in Fill tool window : lock alpha. So fill respect the alpha of the layer instead of filling entire document. Yes I know I can first get the layer selection then fill, but as many aeras in Photo, we really require less click everywhere to achieve efficiency in production. Of course, this checkbox should remember between documents/sessions.

- get a layer, start fill tool, click the color, then the colour picker : when picking a color on the document, the fill aera doesn't update accordingly. Should update in real ime according to pixel color under the picker.

- we shouldn't even have to click the color then drag the color picker: pressing i shortcut, we should be able to directly pick a color anywhere for the fill color !

- No way when 'filling' with the color picker to set the color picker settings (1x1, average 5x5, etc). Contextual menu should give this option (such contextual menus are missing in lot of aeras globally, again, less click everywhere !)

intel i7-3930K - 32Go - SSDs | Dual screen | Running last customer beta

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 | nVidia GTX 680 - v376.33 | intuos 3 - v6.3.15-3

Hi KiboOst

- get a layer, start fill tool, click the color, then the colour picker : when picking a color on the document, the fill aera doesn't update accordingly. Should update in real ime according to pixel color under the picker.

Being a pixel layer, this will not live update. you have to select the colour than re-fill the pixels to change the colour like you do in other Photo apps. You can go to Layer > New fill Layer and this will live update as you pick different colours.

- we shouldn't even have to click the color then drag the color picker: pressing i shortcut, we should be able to directly pick a color anywhere for the fill color !

- No way when 'filling' with the color picker to set the color picker settings (1x1, average 5x5, etc). Contextual menu should give this option (such contextual menus are missing in lot of aeras globally, again, less click everywhere !)

Which colour picker are you using the one off the colour panel or from the tools toolbar? The tool allows you to pick a colour by just clicking and also contains the the sample point and other setting on the context toolbar. Are you not seeing this?

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Being a pixel layer, this will not live update. you have to select the colour than re-fill the pixels to change the colour like you do in other Photo apps. You can go to Layer > New fill Layer and this will live update as you pick different colours.

So why does it live update when hitting a color inside the color itself or when moving rgb sliders ?

It does, and it should does when taking the picker from there and select a color with the picker

Which colour picker are you using the one off the colour panel or from the tools toolbar? The tool allows you to pick a colour by just clicking and also contains the the sample point and other setting on the context toolbar. Are you not seeing this?

I'm talking about the picker inside fill tool when you click on the color

What we should be able to do :

move tool, select a layer, edit fill, check 'lock alpha', press i and pick a color anywhere, with live update.

Actually I have to click the color, then click the picker and drag it without any feedback, then click on the circle on the right of the picker so my picked color actually goes into fill tool color and show in my layer. wow !

Too many click and inconsistency actually, really.

I think we are getting confused and referencing two different things here. Presumed from your description you were filling a normal pixel layer but it may be a different type of layer

The colour picker you drag from various panels is not the same as selecting a tool which keeps it's active state. This is why it has the drag behaviour and no context toolbar. We included the colour picker tool for that functionality so I don't think this will change any time soon.

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Well, it IS a 'Pixel' layer.

Sorry, but having no feedback with picker, and then having to click on the color circle to get into fill is just totally counterproductive. Lot too much clicks to achieve something so simple.

See attached file

post-28997-0-88148900-1484051497_thumb.gif

Arg, sorry Chris, didn't though about the Flood Fill Tool !! Showing captures is always better ;)