You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys,

Just a quick question as I'm trying to find out what I'm doing wrong (if anything).

I have a file in Designer, consisting of both vector and pixel layers. It's an A4 sized template for printing and cutting the stickers for 12" vinyl releases.

Once I have finished the design I export the whole file as 300dpi PDF. This results in a PDF approx 1.4 MB in size. On several occassions I have had the PDF returned to me from the printers, saying it's not the right resolution. They claim it to be 164 dpi. When I open the exported PDF in Photo or Designer and re-export on 300 DPI it creates a new PDF. But this time the file size is 1.8 MB and according to the printers, this is the correct resolution. 

I'm puzzled why my initial export doesn't pass their DPI check. I know it's hard to determine the DPI of a PDF, due to the progressive nature of the file. But still, I don't get it.

I hope this all makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction. It bothers me having to go through the extra export loop just to get the file in the correct resolution apparently.

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

Sorry for the late reply. 

Do you still have the original .afdesign file and the first PDF you created? If so, is it possible to upload here for me to take a look? Feel free to send me a Dropbox link to the file via PM instead :)