You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

User Variables in Export Persona path components

I am trying to configure the export persona to label different output sizes.

In the first screenshot you can see I have it set to export 3 different PNGs with the path components WIDTH_SLICENAME. The first has the format WIDTH_LABELNAME_SLICENAME, where LABELNAME is a user variable. However, I can't seem to access this variable in any of the other slices. If I click to edit the 408_black to include LABELNAME, there are no options in the user variables section.

Am I using this wrong?

post-42409-0-93057900-1480545713_thumb.png

post-42409-0-64861600-1480545730_thumb.png

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The variables are per object.  They were initially added to fulfil requirements for OSX and iOS Builder files (the variable is inserted into the output JSON files), but were done in a generic way to allow for future extensions to the output builders and inclusion in paths.

The idea is that you can generate a common path with placed variables, then you can copy and paste that path into another export item.  If you don't create that variable in your object then it will just be omitted from the path.  In order to insert one into a path, you do have to create it so that it can be drag-dropped into the path.

A Builder is a script generator that creates additional output files (such as XML or JSON) based on the file or files being exported.  They are currently hard coded, but I plan to allow user customisation in the future.

In answer to your question (given the example), why can't you just put the text directly into the path?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB